Skip to main content

Anyone ever used any Canadian 5 Star beef?

Occasionally we have a sales rep stop by and pitch us a new product. Latest was this stuff. Swears it's a great product and he has several customers that have tried it and now use it.

Guess I'm not familiar with Canada's beef industry. It was kind of my understanding that they were more of a grass fed rather than fattened out on corn up there. That could be totally wrong though???

I agreed to try a box but I am skeptical. Compared to Certified Choice Hereford ($3.61 # Monday)he was about 10% lower cost ($3.25 #) off the truck. If they are inconsistent weights or really fatty then it will be a no go. I'll try some and report back.

If any of you have tried these please let me know.

THANKS!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As a chef who cuts all meat in-house, I have been a long time advocate and user of Canadian beef tenderloins. What was then Better Beef has been acquired by Excel. The product remains the same.

Grading designation - Prime, AAA, AA & A. I purchase AAA which is the equivalent of upper Choice. I use heavy PSMO tenders which average 8 lbs and provide a much higher yield of 8 oz filet mignons vs CAB tenders in the 5-6 lb range.

The marbling is almost always very abundant and the finished product eats like "budda"

That said, I can't speak to Canadian 5 Star Beef. If the box lists a AAA grade stamp, I'd suggest giving them a try.

PS You posted your question in the Brisket forum. I have never used (or seen) AAA briskets. Just wanted to give you some feedback as it pertains to Canadian AAA beef.
Max would certainly be the chef with the "feet on the ground".

Being from a several generation,beef bloodstock raising family, on both sides, and now the great grandchildren are as heavy as they can be in beef cattle and University meats' education as they can acquire,we have more than a passing curiosity in the subject.
Plus, it needs to provide the education and allow the next generation the opportunity to rear their children on a beef cattle operation. Cool

First, a top chef like Max,has acquired the experience/talent to plate beef with the "buttery" feel/taste to it.

What the beef cattle schools show/teach is a carcass with lower cover of fat on the meat and thinner/leaner interspersed fat in the butchered product.

Many folks that make judgements/comparisons on the same cuts of meat,tend to feel that the taste/mouthfeel and the weight losing/dieting,and nutritional benefits of the meat might be negligible to the basic consumer.

You didn't ask about cost/expense,etc,so I won't attempt to go there.

Of course,Maxx would know /have experience with his supplier.He would be choosing the herd genetics/breed,age,aging,and specific cuts to serve.
Being grass fed and somewhat older it would be "upper choice",rather than prime in our grading systems in the U.S.

I don't remember ever seeing grass fed briskets, marketed down in the "48".

I'd probably ask Maxx for his experience/advice.Besides being a great Chef,he has always been very sharing with the forum.

Let us know how they work out.
First thing, our sales rep was a little confused. There is a Canadian 5 star but the stuff we got was simply 5 star. They have a Canadian line as well but these are processed in Green Bay, WI.

We cooked a case of them and honestly I can't tell any difference. The biggest shocker on this deal is they are corn fed holsteins Roll Eyes

Yield, flavor and appearance were the same but other than that, just another line of beef I guess.

Don't laugh to loud at the genetics. I thought the same thing the first time heard of certified hereford. Now that's my favorite. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.