Skip to main content

In light of the recent posts I decided to share a recent success. I noticed Costco always has whole and sliced pork bellies. I have used the whole ones for bacon but decided to pick up a sliced belly package. I spread them out and dusted both sides of them with the "Right Stuff" from Texas BBQ rub. Straight into a 225 degree smoker on frog mats for 2.5 hours. I never intended on eating them for that night's dinner. I did snack on one and it was delicious. No I had plans for the next night. I took about 5 refrigerated pieces which at this point sort of looks like a long left over pork chop. Sliced it into bite size morsels about 1" x 1". Tossed it into a pan with melted butter. I used a wok and wooden spoon. Kept tossing them every so often until they were nice and crispy. Drained the fat and tossed a pinch of salt and pepper on them. I served them on a plate with a nice baby arugula salad with tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers and tzatziki sauce. Some of the best eats we had in a long time. The pork was crunchy on the outside and so tender and delicious on the inside. It was like that perfect bite of an overcooked pork chop. Or even close enough to call chicharrones. I am telling you that this was super easy and you could very successfully turn these into a nice poor boy sandwich or a taco or even a hors d'oeuvre with a nice dipping sauce.

Sorry I don't have any pictures. Give it a try though!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.