Skip to main content

I need help...

My daughter is getting married and I have volunteered to make pork butts. But I am just supplementing the real caterer to save money.

There will be about 300 guests. The real caterer will provide chicken for about 200 and sides for all 300. I figure that I will provide pulled pork for about 100-150 people.

I've made lots of butts in my CS100. I think I've done 4 at a time.

Now for the questions:
- how many butts or pounds do I need for that many people?
- how far in advance can I make them?
- how do store it after making?

My plan was to start smoking on Thursday. I was thinking 3 batches of 4 butts each. And then pull each batch after it had coolered. I planned on storing the pulled butts in the fridge util Saturday and then using a Nesco to warm it all back up.

Am I close?

Any corrections/advice is greatly appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That's a big question with a lot of variations of answers.

Here are some posts to get you started as there are a lot of posts about catering that will help:

Search on "catering"

Simple math says 50% yield on butts, they you just need to decide:

1. Buns or no buns and if so what size buns, no buns means people will take more
2. Oz of meat. If you serve you can control the portions, if they serve themselves they've waste a lot of food.
I buy my pork butts at CostCo in the two pack. They are boneless. I average 20 sandwiches each, or 40 sandwiches per package. I have done fundraisers for 100-150 a few times. With only sides and a drink. For 150 people I would buy (4) 2 packs. I usually have some left to hand out to a select few to take home.

I am just a little concerned that you think only half the guests are going to want Pulled Pork. Or will they only get one choice? If it's help yourself style I imagine chicken and a sandwich on just about everyone plate.

Good luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.