Skip to main content

In a recent interview with Gordon Ramsay and some other renown chefs they all stated pork from the Mangalitsa hogs was far superior to any other they'd worked with. In addition they had removed Kurobuta's from their menus and replaced them with Mangalitsa.
Curious if anyone reading this has any experience with this pork
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, they are quite ugly. There are actually three breeds of these Pigs. The red, the blonde, and the swallow bellied one in the picture. They are extremely fatty and the meat is very well marble. But there is a lot waste on the carcass because of the loads of fat. I'm sure what you had in the porkchops or even ribs would be very tasty. Another problem with the breed is the very low birth numbers. I don't see how the breed can sustain itself, it is very endangered. More people need to start raising them.
Chaplain Bill, I know you and others here are very knowledgeable about pork breeds. I have had belly from Hampshire (what you have correctly called a commercial breed), and Berkshire (called by some a heritage breed). The Berkshire is more expensive than the Hampshire, which seems reasonable since it just is better all around in texture, flavor, and appearance. I have also seen Kurobota, which I have read is a "subset" of Berkshire bred in Japan, of exceptionally high Berkshire quality. Your thoughts, and how they compare to your Tamworth, especially as regards belly? And is it worth spending twice as much for Kurobota vs "regular" Berkshire? Thanks for your expertise!
Wow, so many questions: good thing I love to talk pork. Bottom Line to your question, if you're choosing between Kurobota and berkshire, I'd just buy Berkshire. But as for me and my house, we choose Tamworth!

Yes, you have your breeds classified correctly, hamps, yorks, durocs are commodity breeds raised in CAFOs (confined animals farming operations) and they do well in confinement. Heritage breeds prefer the outdoors: they need their sunshine, grass and dirt like God intended.

Full disclosure, I like Tamworth pork better - especially because I breed and sell these animals. A Tamworth is an heritage breed, but a breed that does not throw on inordinate amounts of fat. If you grow them out to around 300 pounds, carcasses have great marbling. The Tamworth belly is very ample, and if you check my post in the bacon and ham forum, you will see some pics of one of the larger bellies I cured and some of the hams. What really cinches it for me with the tams is the fat. In short, it is buttery. It is not a glob of sticky substance in your mouth that you want to spit out. It is beautiful and unbelievably tasty. A couple of weeks ago, I finished home-curing two Large hogs worth of bacon and ham. Here's a shot. I had to cut off lots of the ends as the bellies were too wide to fit on my 12-inch slicer, (which will take an 11-inch-long slice). Incidentally, these bacon slices could have been up to an inch wider in some places, but me and my dull knife trying to skin two hogs in the front yard in the freezing cold cut too much of the fat (and some of the meat) off the belly.

Yesterday, I received back a small acorn-fed Tamworth pig (225 pounds) from the processer and pan-fried some 1 inch thick chops with just some salt and pepper. -- Nothing finer!!!! Here is a pic of some of the chops we received back (frozen). I did get one of them overcooked and the center was dry - but Tamworth meat will dry out if you overcook it. Most store bought pork is dry despite of finishing temp.

Now for the berks. Berk is a different kind of pork. According to the heritage pork website, The Berkshire hog breed dates back to the 1600’s, rumored to have been first discovered by Sir Oliver Cromwell who prized Berkshire hogs for their superior meat quality. During this time, the Berkshire was described as a reddish or sandy colored pig. Approximately 320 years ago, East Asian black pigs were imported to England where they were crossed with the Berkshire producing the black coat and 6 distinct spots that we see today. The British Royal family has been dedicated to breeding Berkshire hogs and are known to have herds at their Windsor Castle estate.

Berkshire Pork is more gamy and has a more beefy texture and taste. It is cherished by chefs and is far more easy to get than Tamworth. In fact, the USDA has told me that our farm had the only US Certified Tamworth Label known to them. Laquercia Cured Meats sells Tamworth pork online that (according to their website) is 75 percent Tamworth/25 percent Duroc. One of their prize acorn-fed Tamworth (75 percent) 14-pound dry-cured ham goes for 900 dollars - Really!!!!.

Incidentally, Here is a pic of a Plant cured (not quite as good as dry cured) and smoked 14 pound ham in my freezer right now. The hogs had acorns the last four months of their life just like the high-dollar ones. I had the other ham sliced and here are some pics of the frozen ham and the slices. I can't wait to taste them, I'm sure they'll be great!! And yes, the ham is already sold.

Now, for the distinction between your Kurobuta pork and Ameican Berkshire. Kurobota pork comes from Japan and is a descendant of the original berks sent to Okinawa by the King of England centuries ago. Without doing a comparative taste test, I would say that most if any difference the Kurobuta and the American Berkshire meat is most likely the result of animal environment, feeding and butcher size. So, if I wanted Kurobuta pork, I'd just by Berkshire pork instead. But as for me and my house, we will enjoy Tams.
Last edited by chaplainbill
Chaplain Bill, your analysis is just exactly what I was looking for (and as always, your pics are incredible). As I suspected, it seems the extra 2x price for Kurobuta is probably not worth it over Berkshire, and from your mention of the online seller of Tamworth, I probably won't be able to afford that any time soon. But over all, you have supported my opinion that the Hampshire bellies I thought were such a good deal were much inferior to the Berkshire I had had earlier. Thanks!!

Jay

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.