Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heating whole precooked hams in smoker Login/Join

posted
Looking for advice has to how long it will take to heat a 20# precooked whole ham. I'm thinking 210 degrees on the smoker and hitting it with a whipped honey rub. Is an internal temp of 140 good to go to the table? How long will the ham be in the smoker?

Thanks, AM-BBQ

Posts: 4 | Registered: December 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You're not cooking but smoking and reheating a precooked ham. An internal of 140* will be great. If you let the ham get to room temperature first, then a couple hours should be fine. If the ham finishes, earlier than you want it, reduce the smoker temp to 140* and let the ham sit in the smoker for awhile or FTC.

Posts: 4892 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Pags said about letting it come up to room temp. I forgot about my thanksgiving ham while I was busy on the turkey and only had an hour stright from the fridge. still cook inside, but good.

Posts: 592 | Location: Jay, Oklahoma | Registered: September 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Near Traverse City, MI

posted Hide Post
I do precooked hams all the time. Try to get the spiral cut ones for more smoke penetration.

I do them at 225 and think that 120+ deg (internal)is fine and it should take 2 to3 hrs for a 20 lb ham.

Posts: 590 | Location: Near Traverse City, Michigan | Registered: June 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice... a 20# ham is a big hunk of meat. Letting it come to room temp before smoking is a good idea.

I saw a recipe for Dr. Chicken's double smoked ham... a marinade and glazing sauce. Has anyone tried this recipe?

Thanks again!

posted Hide Post
I reheat it flat side down. Less chance of the slices curling on a spiral ham.

Posts: 4892 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AM-BBQ:
Thanks for all the advice... a 20# ham is a big hunk of meat. Letting it come to room temp before smoking is a good idea.

I saw a recipe for Dr. Chicken's double smoked ham... a marinade and glazing sauce. Has anyone tried this recipe?

Thanks again!

I've used the recipe for Dr. Chicken's double smoked ham glaze several times in the past, though with a few changes. First, the ingredients called for in the recipe when combined will only yield 1.5 cups of glaze. That won't go very far, especially with a 20 lb. ham, so I initially doubled everything. I later made a few ingredient changes. I substituted 1/2 cup each Dijon mustard and Pommery mustard for the dry mustard called for in the recipe. I also added 1 cup of apricot preserves, 1 tsp. ground cloves, and 1/2 tsp. cayenne.

I haven't made the injectible marinade. I keep meaning to try it, but something else always comes up.

Posts: 861 | Location: Depends On The Day | Registered: December 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the glaze info... I was needing to tweak it myself, as my boss (wife) doesn't care for the orange flavoring. I think the apricot preserves will work well.

posted Hide Post
Did a spiral ham for Thnksgvng. Took apricot-jalapeno jelly, heated it up to liquefy it then spread the spirals apart & brushed on the slices. Smoked @ 225* for about a couple of hrs. Better than the turkey!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 10 lb spiral sliced, hillshire farms, brown sugar ham.

I plan to re-heat in my SM 20 to an internal of 120 degrees or so with the meat side down at 250 degees.

Wrap in foil or not? It seems pretty moist already, i.e., there is fluid in the cryovac packaging.

thanks in advance for the replies, I have never done a ham before

Posts: 2 | Registered: April 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done both the precooked hams, and the spiral sliced hams. I buy or make Peach or Apricot Pineapple jam, and add some diced Jalapino's to this for the glaze. One of the best hams I did was injected with Pepper's Georgia Peach and Vidalia onion hot sauce, and glazed with the peach jam and jalapino glaze. I have to cook for people that think black pepper is "Too Hot". They don't have a problem with the hams being "Too Hot", even the injected one. I put the ham in an aluminum pan on it's side.

Posts: 171 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: November 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope all had a Merry Christmas. Thanks to your help our Christmas ham was huge (20#) success.

It was smoked (reheated) at 225 degrees for 6 hours. Applied the finishing glaze out of the smoker and caramelized with a blow torch from my garage... now that was fun!

Triple wrapped in foil; stuffed in a roaster and covered with terry cloth towels. Held a reasonable temperature for 3 hour before I craved and served. Everybody loved it.

I tweaked the Dr Chicken's Sweet Kiss of Death marinade and added apricot preserves to the glaze recipe.

Thank you all again for your help.