Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by AM-BBQ:
Thanks for all the advice... a 20# ham is a big hunk of meat. Letting it come to room temp before smoking is a good idea.

I saw a recipe for Dr. Chicken's double smoked ham... a marinade and glazing sauce. Has anyone tried this recipe?

Thanks again!

I've used the recipe for Dr. Chicken's double smoked ham glaze several times in the past, though with a few changes. First, the ingredients called for in the recipe when combined will only yield 1.5 cups of glaze. That won't go very far, especially with a 20 lb. ham, so I initially doubled everything. I later made a few ingredient changes. I substituted 1/2 cup each Dijon mustard and Pommery mustard for the dry mustard called for in the recipe. I also added 1 cup of apricot preserves, 1 tsp. ground cloves, and 1/2 tsp. cayenne.

I haven't made the injectible marinade. I keep meaning to try it, but something else always comes up.
I just bought a 10 lb spiral sliced, hillshire farms, brown sugar ham.

I plan to re-heat in my SM 20 to an internal of 120 degrees or so with the meat side down at 250 degees.

Wrap in foil or not? It seems pretty moist already, i.e., there is fluid in the cryovac packaging.

thanks in advance for the replies, I have never done a ham before
I have done both the precooked hams, and the spiral sliced hams. I buy or make Peach or Apricot Pineapple jam, and add some diced Jalapino's to this for the glaze. One of the best hams I did was injected with Pepper's Georgia Peach and Vidalia onion hot sauce, and glazed with the peach jam and jalapino glaze. I have to cook for people that think black pepper is "Too Hot". They don't have a problem with the hams being "Too Hot", even the injected one. I put the ham in an aluminum pan on it's side.
Hope all had a Merry Christmas. Thanks to your help our Christmas ham was huge (20#) success.

It was smoked (reheated) at 225 degrees for 6 hours. Applied the finishing glaze out of the smoker and caramelized with a blow torch from my garage... now that was fun!

Triple wrapped in foil; stuffed in a roaster and covered with terry cloth towels. Held a reasonable temperature for 3 hour before I craved and served. Everybody loved it.

I tweaked the Dr Chicken's Sweet Kiss of Death marinade and added apricot preserves to the glaze recipe.

Thank you all again for your help.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.