I have used this glaze and love it on ham,
3 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup spicy stone ground mustard
3 tablespoon cider vinegar
Pinch of S&P
1 can Dr. Pepper (or any soda you like)
BTB then simmer for 15-20 min until dark and thick
Brush or mop on ham and enjoy.

I have used coke, Pepsi, root beer and ginger ale and like them all.
You could add clove, cinnamon or other spices but I have found that a simple glaze lets the ham shine through!
Happy Easter!
Wilber, I was smoking my spiral sliced Smithfield in pecan for a few hours and decided last minute to trash the glaze that came with it and use the one you have listed here. I used Pepsi-throwback with real sugar (was avoiding the crap that's why I threw out the Smithfield glaze) and your recipe came out great! Thanks for posting.

Vicki B.
I tasted the Pepsi a little. I am guessing what ever soda you use you will tAste a little of it. But I'm betting you can play with the different kinds of sodas from light to dark depending on what it's going on. I bet a sprite or other lemon lime type might work good on a pork loin or something. I might experiment cutting the recipe in a quarter batch to try.
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
I tasted the Pepsi a little. I am guessing what ever soda you use you will tAste a little of it. But I'm betting you can play with the different kinds of sodas from light to dark depending on what it's going on. I bet a sprite or other lemon lime type might work good on a pork loin or something. I might experiment cutting the recipe in a quarter batch to try.

Glad you liked the glaze! I have used the ginger ale glaze on a pork loin, it worked well. Lemon lime soda sounds good, have to give that a try. I did use some Sierra mist in my last chicken brine, worked great!!
I know this is a year old, but just ran across it. I use a simple glaze made from either apricot or peach jam. Dice up a couple jalapenos and add that to the jam. I take the seeds and vanes out of the peppers to keep everyone happy. Heat it up to so it goes back to a liquid state, and glaze the ham with it. I do this several times during the cook. I take some of the glaze out before putting it on the ham, and use this as sauce over the sliced ham. A couple of years ago my girls made a special batch of peach jam with the peppers added as they were cooking it down. It is really good.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.