Skip to main content

My wife picked this up at store the other day. Its labeled "Pork Shoulder Picnic". I know there is a difference and I don't think it can be both. It weighs 10 pounds, it has skin on 1 side and has a bone in it.

I wanted to make pulled pork - I assume I still can - but wanted to get some opinions as to what it really is....I'm new to smoking.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • pork_001
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ok, Yes, it can be both a butt and a shoulder, but it's not, kinda.

It looks to me like a skin-on pork butt that they may have cut a little low into the shoulder. This is evident by the shape and skin missing on the skin side where it attaches to the pork shoulder. By the size of the shoulder opening, my guess is this is a smaller pig.

You'll know for sure after you cook and pull it and see the bone. If the cut only contains the blade bone, it's a butt, but if it has anything extra, it's part of the shoulder.

After you smoke it please post a pic of the bone displayed on a size reference point (like a 8 inch paper plate). You'll know when you see the bone.

If you take the skin off, it will not weigh as much. Should be some good eating. By the way, I think I see a gland (or at least a blood spot) on the meat side at the darker spot, might want to cut that out first.

If you are going to leave the skin on and smoke it, I would score it in a square or diamond pattern first and really get some rub in the cuts.

Skin-on cuts are very rare today. Consider yourself blessed.
Last edited by chaplainbill

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.