Skip to main content

Ok, I need some input on roaster pigs. I've got 21 piglets running around and was thinking about transforming a few of them into roasters. My two main processing plants don't do roasters. My USDA plan will do them only with the head off and the custom exempt plan does them with head on, but skinned, not scalded.

Here's what I need to know.

1. When you buy a roaster, what size do you shoot for?
2. Do you prefer skin on or off?

3. Head on or off?

4. Are the roasters you've received injected at all, like in the hams or loins for instance?

5. What are some general cooking tips for roasters, say if I was going to do on in my FEC 100?

Thanks again.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Chinese style of roasting whole pig with head on minus tongue and brain. You would then slaughter whole with char sui sauce and roast the pig at high temp and poking hundreds of hole on skin all over to let fat bleed out through them, thus making skin crunchy when done. When done chop up and serve.

Philippino style to season whole pig and tie it to a rotisorie and roast it overnite on charcoal pit till done. When done remove and cut up to serve.

Most pigs run around 40 lbs.
That's kinda a neat setup. So you have to change out the charcoal three or four times for a pig? I'm thinking about 20 or so pounds for each load, so 60-80 pounds of charcoal for a pig? Looks great and to have one done in four hours, that's amazing.

I'm also interested in the Stainless steel plate someone had here a while back for a roaster pig in the FEC. I know they have one for the FEC 500, but I was thinking maybe I saw one for the 100 somewhere.

I've literally got pigs everywhere, and more on the way.
I first thought of cooking a pig in my fec 100 after seeing a post on this site. it had the suckling pig on a rod and tilted on an angle with the snout down at the exhaust. 2 items struck me as the suckling was smaller than I wanted and it looked like a hassle. I didn't want to buy an fec500, (ok I can't afford one)just to do a whole hog and the price of other hog cookers were also out of my price range for an occasional cook. I also use an a maze n smoker to give me the smoke. works great as I only do a whole hog once or twice a year so the cost of charcoal doesn't bother me.
Last edited by seasoned1
no disrespect but first off he should have purchased the #2 as it holds up to 100lb vs #1 holds 70 lbs. That way you can cook a whole hog. I have the fec100 and wouldn't give it up for anything but I do occasionally cook a whole hog so that is why I have the #2 box. also you can place an A Maze N smoker in the box for smoke. not the perfect setup but for the money it works for me.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.