Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I bought gloves on Amazon. They are for handling hot food. The ones I purchased are I believe by Butterball. They are blue and have a tiny bit of roughness on the fingers for gripping food. I take all my food out of the smoker with them on and pull apart the pork, etc. They are not for hot metal or anything else you would hold with potholders as they are on the thinner side. But they do offer a good barrier between the heat of the food and your hands. I looked at a lot of reviews on Amazon before settling on the Butterball ones. They are easy to wash as well. Just have them on and wash with soap and hot water.
I have used the gloves and the bear claws. The claws are fairly fast but alot of work if you have several butts to do.

I bought one of the pork pullers, and it works great if you have several butts to do. If I have over 8 to do, I will break it out. Put 2 butts in a pot, pull bone and fat. Then put unit into the meat and pull tigger. I do short burst on hte trigger. Takes about 10 seconds, for the two butts. Then break any larger bunches with the bear claws. If you go too long it can turn it to mush.

If you don't have much to do it is a lot more mess to clean up.

RandyE
I don't go in for the tools concept because they tend to do a generalize pull, which is ok.

I just buy cotton globes, put my rubber food service gloves over them and pull away.

I can feel the tenderness and resistence and more easily discard any fat I don't want to eat (not all, I leave some, just not all of it)
Like Smokin' says.Most hardware,etc stores you can buy the cotton gloves for about $6-$7 a dozen.Get 100 packs of food service gloves -cheap and must haves.

It certainly depends on the amount/volume you do.

Most of you good cooks can drop a butt on the table and it will start,pull the bone,and almost wipe away the discard tissues.

Pulling chicken,they are good because you can feel the couple small sliver bones that are hard to see/feel.

If you are serious volume,Hobart's Buffalo chopper does meats,cabbage,etc.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.