Skip to main content

I decided to do my first hot and fast Pork Butt. I have done at least a 100 PBs slow and low at 225 degrees. Usually takes about 12-14 hours. I was quite surprised at the results.

I put in 2 boneless PBs in my SM025 with some hickory/cherry pellets at 275 degrees at 7:00am. At 12:00pm I decided to wrap in foil and finish for another hour. The internal temp before wrapping was 190. In the last hour I achieved 205 degrees internal temp. My goal for the last hour was to retain moisture and to finish the product quicker.

I FTC'd these for 4 hours and pulled them at 5:00pm. They were moist, delicious, and plenty of smoke flavor for our liking.

It doesn't bother me at all that there was little to no bark. I know when I foil them for 4-6 hours in the cooler the bark will soften anyways. These were made intended for a few sandwiches and a lot of "other" dishes through-out the month. I am not sure I will ever go back to low and slow unless I am trying to impress with awesome bark.

The hot and fast method might help someone doing more product then their machine can handle. Just a thought.

As the fine cooks on here have taught us, after 140 the meat isn't going to take on much more smoke. I think next time I will wrap at 140 Internal temp and finish.

I also didn't add any liquid to the foil wrap at 12:00. Product was still moist at 5:00pm. However, I understand that adding a liquid could also add a layer of flavor. Will try this change later as well.

I didn't notice any stall. I am sure it happened but it must have been much quicker.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Padrefan -- I always admire people who try & think outside the box. Glad you liked your smoke & results. I have tried to speed up a smoke or two and find that I'm usually disappointed. Now, I am not one to give up on a process, but I usually stick to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule.

I am a man who loves bark (and so does the Mrs). I also found that what some call "juicy," is, in my opinion, fatty. I would much rather feel the taste of a good finishing sauce as opposed to a greasy film on my tongue & teeth.

So, I an NOT knocking your new-found fast way of smoking butts. If it floats your boat & the Mrs is happy, God bless ya! I prefer low & slow, lots of bark & less fat.

Keep on smoking, buddy...! Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.