Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ah yes, Jay makes a good point. Don't go overboard with the wood chunks. Go with maybe 2-3 pieces, 3-5oz total weight. Very easy to over smoke it.

Depending on when you are serving and how late you usually stay up... If I'm serving for dinner, I usually start at 180 about 10:30 - 11:30 at night, then turn it up to 235 in the morning when I get up. If I'm serving for lunch, I just set it a 235 at night.

Keep in mind if it's done early, you can foil it, wrap in a towel and place in a pre-heated cooler and it will stay hot for a good four hours.
What everyone has said above is great advice. I but my PB's in at midnight. 225 degrees I know it will be done around noon. I like to double wrap and foil them when they reach 190. I put them in a towel in a cooler. (FTC) I have had them still too hot to handle after 6 hours in the cooler. I can serve dinner anytime, but I can have a small sample at 12:00pm. Smiler

Also, I don't even open the door once in the 12 hours. Took a few times to realize I don't need to when you have a good external temp probe.
Have to admit that I'm confused with cook temperatures after revisiting this site. Haven't been on here for awhile nor have I cooked a pork butt recently. Every butt I did I followed previous forums and/or the cookbook. I have a 009 and followed the 2hrs/lb while at 225. Ive done about 10 butts total. Everyone has enjoyed the results, but my personal opinion is it could always be better. I've read so many threads here about nothing being left after it was served. Mine was eating, but not devoured. Perhaps I don't have a pork loving family. I think I'm now reading that I should actually be cooking at 60 degrees above desired temp in some threads while this one seems to support my original way of doing it @ 225. I apologize for being out of touch and confused on such an often talked about subject, but so much information has clouded my direction. I know I could just try one at higher temps to see results, but I want to hear some feedback first to get me up to speed if philosophies have changed recently.
there is no "magic" temp. It really comes down to your taste buds and the finished product.

225 is fine and cook until it's tender. You can NOT cook it (repeat, not) on a x hours per pound. Work for a certain Internal temp (as a guide) but also probe the thing to see if/how tender it is.

I've never been a fan of xx hours for xx pounds for any BBQ. This isn't a cake as there is some art to it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.