Skip to main content

Hi Fourm,

How long can you double foil and wrap pulled pork , once it is taken from smoker. If the internal temp. is at 195 when it comes out , can you foil and place in cooler for 6 or 7 hrs. If after the time that it is in the cooler will the pork pull when you go to unwrap it. Does it pull when it's cool or cold??? or with it being that long in cooler will the pork dry out?????

I have been on a roll with picnic shoulder roasts coming out super every time. Want to do one for a friend , and was wondering how long it can stay it cooler before he gets a chance to eat it.

Would it be a better idea if I would only smoke cook it until it reaches a internal temp of say 185. And then double foil and put in cooler for an unlimited time. Your Thoughts ,

Also , would be very interested in doing a brisket. Is there any suggestions on this piece of meat. I have been reading alot on forum about this , sometimes it doesn't come out very good.

Thanks
Eke
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As long as you are holding it with an internal of 140� you are fine.

It will pull fine while warm.

If you want to present it unpulled,try this.

If I were going to hold it much longer,I would just refrigerate it early.

Reheat at 250� to 140� internal and pull.

Briskets have a mind of their own,but the CS was designed for them.

Read Brisket 101 and you will get edible,at least.
Hey KD

yes ,if I were feeding the general public,had a license,and the health inspector was standing there with his insta read,I would also.

I would not be able to serve 140�-145� pork loin,medium burgers,med rare steaks,fresh sausage-smoked to about 157�,poultry breasts smoked to the high 150�s,rare prime rib pulled at 120�,etc.,etc.

That reheated butt at 165�,I'd serve with lots of sauce.

My friends must take the gamble.LOL
I hear you, Tom.

Actually, in Oregon, we can cook beef to 135, pork to 145 and serve it. But once it's been cooled off and needs to be reheated, then they require the 165 temps just to kill off any potential growing things that arrived during the cool off.

I've not had to reheat pulled pork too much, but if we take it to 190-200 in the initial cook, would a 165 reheat dry it out so much? Especially if we added a little liquid or sauce during the re-heat?
As I remember no known bacteria is supposed to survive 160� for 60 secs.

Of course,if you have toxins from the bacteria,200� won't destroy it.

Everything is to degrees and yes adding back in your juice in the foil will help.

Many pro kitchens would consider unsalted chicken stock.

If it is already pulled,cooled, and reheated it is just a saucing question IMO.

I am not a serious vendor,just help those that are.

Often the vendors,that are heating to 165�,are then cleaver chopping in larger chunks for public sale.

A mix of 1/2 sauce & 1/2 apple juice is very common among vendors.[once it is pulled and out for the public]

As you know holding is usually a culprit, to some degree.

Most like to get it off heat as soon as it gets pullable,maybe 192�-195�,if it will be held a few hours.

To eat immediately,you might go 205� or above.

When you add liquid back to the foil with a whole butt,it will draw some back into it.

Of course the 250� liquid is all the while steaming away the bark.

Everything is a tradeoff,so I prefer not to overcook it to start with.

Eke was trying to present his "best" to a friend,so it is a little different discussion.

We also have to trust that he handled the cooling and reheating correctly.
ok let's see if i remember my chef's exam.
reheat to 165 as fast as possible
hold at 140 for no more than 3 hours
chill to below 40f within 1 hour.
you get 2 reheats (or 3 times to serve before throwing out)
and it must be used within 3 days of cooking
and now my brain hurts
jack
2Greyhounds....SMOKIN!!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.