Skip to main content

I am planning to do a 10# butt this weekend to take to the football game for tailgaiting (Jets-Dolphins). The game is at 1pm but we need to leave the house at 8:30 to get to the stadium. I plan to smoke the butt and then FTC it and put it in a cooler till it's ready to be pulled. The problem is that I will not have any leeway with time on the smoke, even though it will do well with the FTC. In the past, I have smoked at 225 and it usually takes 1 1/4 hours per pound, but as we all know, this can vary. So what if it's time to leave and it's not done? Should I err on the side of cooking it longer (1 1/2 hours per pound) or just do my usual and let the FTC do the rest?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If it me, with your time constraints, I would put the PB in the smoker at 6pm at 225. I would probably be up at 6am checking internal temp. Anything less then 195 I am foiling and putting it back in the smoker at 250 for the final 2.5 hours. If its at 195 or above, you are good to go to pull it out and FTC before you leave. My experience is the PB will pull just fine after hitting 195 and FTC for more than 2 hours.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.