Skip to main content

WE are having a benefit for a lost friend this weekend. We have a whole hog. I'd like to fill the Amerique with butts to help out. There is a benefit team roping before the meal and auction. Tentative meal time 3 pm Saturday. Any start times and temps would be appreciated. and anything else, advice wise.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

hey jd!
i'll speak from my experiences....i own a sm160 and sm260. love them both!
looks like u will get 5 butts in your smoker. not sure how green u r at this?
always rub mine with sweet baby rays buffalo wing sauce then sprinkle a good pork rub on them. i mainly use an applewood rub. fridge for at least 24hrs. set the smoker to 230 deg. when u load the butts on the racks stagger them left and right so the smoke will flow around the butts. if u have the probe put that in and set for 205deg in the top butt. i would rotate the shelves after 6hrs. at this point u can wrap them in foil depending if u like the bark or not.
if u don't have the probe look for the 205 deg. internal temp. (bout 12hr.)and your butts will be ready to pull or chop. when u take them out cover and let rest for at least an hour or more before i pick or chop.
there r many good recipes on this site so read them and enjoy.....many great experts out there!
scott

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.