Skip to main content

I just began my first bone-in Boston Butt (6.7 kg = 14.75 lb). This will be an overnight smoke.

I cold-water brined (water, kosher salt, molasses) for 25.5 hours, patted dry, then applied a dry rub. Placed on middle rack with fat side up. 4.2 ounces Apple (2 pieces), 2.7 ounces hickory (1 piece). Smoker set to 225 F. Targeting internal meat temperature of 195-200 F. Set it and forget it :-)

I have made a KC BBQ sauce (tomato based) and a Carolina BBQ sauce (vinegar based). Tomorrow I plan to make a mango slaw (I live in Thailand), and I found a bakery that makes soft sandwich rolls (2 dozen on order).

Hoping that I've followed a good process, it's a combination of my brother's techniques and some basics I've found here.

Here are the preparation photos. Post-smoke photos will be added tomorrow.

Very excited and a bit anxious. Andy

In the brine:

With dry rub:

In the smoker:
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes I know it's a lot of wood, but I figured that most of it's milder apple. Will see when it's done :-)

Speaking of done, it's been 16-1/2 hours, I haven't opened the door, and the meat registers at 186 F. Geez. I'm hoping it's done within another 2-1/2 hours because I have ribs that need 4 hours in the smoker, and a group of hungry people coming in 6-1/2 hours. I did a lot of reading beforehand -- I never imagined it would take this long to cook.
After 18 hours and 15 minutes, the meat temperature finally hit 190. It seemed to fluctuate between 188 and 190 but finally settled. However, I decided at this point I should finish it in the oven because I needed to get the ribs in. When I opened the smoker, I saw a thing of beauty. On a whim, I tried my instant read thermometer, and it read 195 in multiple locations. When I tried moving the butt it practically broke apart in my hands. I'm wondering whether my meat probe that came with the Cookshack is not accurate, or if I somehow had it in a pocket or too near the bone? Anyway I'm glad I checked before throwing it in the oven.

As I transferred the butt to my foil, a small piece detached (stuck to the grate). I took this as a sign from above that I should taste it. Oh my god it's amazing. The bark tastes amazing, the meat is melt in your mouth. Not oversmoked, not overseasoned, not overbrined. Whew!!

It's resting, wrapped in foil and towel in a cooler. I'll pull later before company arrives. The ribs are in, can't wait for dinner.

Andy

Here is the butt before I removed it from the smoker.
What a great evening. It's great serving bbq here in Thailand -- nobody at the table had ever eaten anything like it, so there were no expectations.

The pulled pork was terrific. I tracked down a bakery not far from home where they bake burger buns daily. The bone dropped out of the butt, and pulling was easy. I got quite a bit of fantastic bark. Both light and dark meats were delicious. I made one mistake -- I should have scraped away the soft fat remaining on the top before pulling, but I got excited and forgot, so I was scooping small bits of fat out as I pulled. Next time I won't forget. I also have some claws on order, which should make it easier to pull.

I made a few racks of dry rub ribs as well, and they were fall-off-the-bone delicious. 3 guests requested to take some of them home.

Most of the guests preferred the Kansas City bbq sauce, but they also liked the heat in my Carolina sauce. In a nod to Thailand, I made some Mango Cilantro Slaw which finished the sandwich nicely. My mom's sesame noodle recipe went well with the meat, and is always requested by guests.

Quite a long couple of days. I have plenty of leftovers to last for a while. Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I plan to smoke a brisket soon, I'll post when I do. Andy

Ribs ready to be served

Sesame Noodles and Mango Cilantro Slaw

Best sandwich I've had in a long time
I found the mango slaw recipe online, and followed it to the letter:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/2...mango-cilantro-slaw/

The sesame noodles is my mom's recipe. I always add additional peanut butter :-) and make sure to really whisk together the ingredients long enough until it becomes a uniform creamy texture. Note these are served cold, but the longer you store them in the fridge you may have to add a few drops of water to bring back some sauce.

https://drive.google.com/file/...U1U/view?usp=sharing
The butt looks great. We're going to give the sesame noodles a try. Thanks.

For information, my pork butts have often taken up to and more than 1.5 hrs/lb when smoking at 225*. Don't be afraid to smoke them between 235-250*. It will speed up the process.

The brining probably sped up the cook by 10% or more, so when you try it without the brine, adjust accordingly.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.