Skip to main content

Hello Everybody,

I've been doing pork butts for years.....but, when I go back home to Florida I normally eat at Sonny's BBQ (it's close and my family down there really like it).....

They do sliced pork, but they call it "Pork Collar".....I've yet to find a meat supplier who carries "Pork Collars"......so, is it their way of making it seem more mysterious.....or is it a definitive pork cut that I should be looking for?

Thanks for your help,
B3
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hmmm... Never heard of it before. But Google knows everything. Found an article about it, turn out a local butcher shop in Chicago has it. Interesting, may have to look for it.

From the article: "It's the part of the shoulder that runs from the base of the pig's neck to the tip of the loin. You don't often see it stateside, but it's commonly used in Europe. It's the same cut of muscle used to make coppa, and the layer of fat on top is the best for curing lardo. Levitt can get more mileage out of a pork shoulder by selling the shank and collar separately, which folks can roast, braise, or cut up for stews and sausages.

"It's gonna be the new pork belly," he said."
Is this possibly the same as "pork cushion"? I've cooked cushion and it is dryer than pork butts but has more fat in it than pork loin. I added a significant amount of apple juice after it was cooked and it soaked it right up. Yields were excellent but IMHO not as good as bone in butts for pulled pork. I can see where it would probably make nice slices though.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.