Skip to main content

Since I work in Kenosha, WI I have easy access to one of the most unique Italian grocery stores around, Tenuta's or www.tenutasdeli.com these guys have some of the best import and local made stuff from homemade pastas, wines, spices to obvously cheese's. So if your ever nearby I recommend that you visit them as they are very nice people have allot of stuff for your cooking needs that are tough to find anywhere else.

Anyway, Yesterday I bought some Hickory smoked pistachio nuts that are really delicious! So I was wondering if someone had a recipe or process for smoking my own or could offer any recommendations on what temps, smoke times, types of woods, and lastly what to use to place on the grills, like maybe a screen? I don't know. Thanks!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here's my routine. I use various types, always raw, unroasted and unsalted. You can always add salt or other coatings after smoking them if you want.

Brine in a 1 C salt per gallon solution for two hours, then let them dry a bit. The don't have to be 100% dry.

Smoke at 180 F with hickory. Times will vary depending on the type of nuts. I go about an hour for pistachios, two hours for almonds. Brazil nuts take two and a half hours.

I tried oiling them first a few times, but by brining they seem to take smoke better and they don't burn.

I use a foil pan with holes in the bottom to hold them. Don't put them in deeper than about an inch, and stir them once or twice along the way.
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give it a try.

Also, is it OK to smoke them at the same time as other meat/veggies or should everything be done on its own separate cycle?

Ron_L: Nice to see theres a fellow Chi-town area smoker! We may have to trade restaurant recommendations sometime.
Ron_L: Peanuts are great. Just make sure and use unroasted so they don't end up overcooked. I like them sweet and hot so I add a little ground chipotle and sugar after. World's best bar nuts.

Gurnee: I do sometimes put them in with other items, on the top rack, though that has it's limits. No seafood, for instance.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.