Skip to main content

Good day all-
SmokinOkie had mentioned in another thread how he will sometimes let excess moisture out to improve the bark on ribs by opening the door for a bit. I realize that it will add time to the cook. My question is, when would this be done during the cook with ribs/brisket/pork? I'm not unhappy with what I turn out, I'm just curious and would like to experiment some time. Thanks in advance-
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Your offset is more of a dry heat cooker. The CookShacks are so tight, moisture from the meat stays inside longer before either dripping out the bottom or escaping as vapor out the top. Opening the door once or twice during a cook will let out alot of excess moisture. Not all cooks would have excess moisture. Sometimes the moisture is good.

Cool
Last edited by Former Member
After the wood has all been consumed, I see nothing but steam venting from my CS. I occasionally open the door at this point (maybe 3 hours into the smoke). I don't necessarily do this for the bark. I primarily do this if I am smoking 6+ racks to give a drier texture to the meat. I have never done this with brisket or butt...there are some Arkansas boys on here who will rough you up for opening the door.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.