Skip to main content

The family bought a cabin in Canada and we are all headed up over the 4th of July for a working/fishing vacation. I was thinking about smoking a couple butts, brisket and ribs to take with. (I would love to take the smoker but the cabin doesn't have electricty)

If I do this is it best to just leave everything whole after it is done smoking and just freeze it or is it better to Pull/slice it up and then freeze it? Also what is the best way to reheat?

Is it possible to run a CS 009 off a battery (car or deep cycle marine battery)? I was thinking about buying a converter and trying it. Just wasnt sure about how much draw it would have and it a battery would even last long enough to do a smoke. We do have a generator but I dont really want it to run all night to do a smoke while we are trying to sleep. Peace and quite is part of the reason for going there.

Thanks for any info.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yep, it works fine... but you want an Inverter.. NOT a converter.. At least in RV lingo, an inverter changes 12vdc to 120vac or modified ac depending on the quality inverter.. whereas a converter turns 120vac to 12vdc for charging purposes.

I don't know how long you can run the smokette off a 12v battery.. likely a long time.. but, I'd hope you have a backup to get the car started. Big Grin

BTW, Deep Cycle would be by far the best as a car battery is designed for short spurts of energy and would be harmful to it in the long run to do long runs.

Options for the meat are maybe something that cooks fast and is good.. Chicken n Ribs???

Butts take a long time as do briskets. You ca have the chicken n ribs done in about 5 hrs, pulling the chicken at about 3 hrs or when done, leaving the ribs to cook a couple more. and still have plenty juice to start the car

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.