Skip to main content

I bought the SM009 a few months ago and like it so far,but I can not get the black crust on the meat like i did when I grilled the meat. I have tried differnet kinds of meat but to no aval do I get that crst which I like to eat. What am I doing wrong or what can I do to obtain the results that I wish? I`m glad to be part of the BBQ community.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome aboard!
A rub with lots of sugar or turbinado sugar in it will produce a nice crust. Clicking on the "find" button at the top of your post and typing in the word bark in the search box will bring up lots of ideas. Lots of good information, and others will have some good ideas as well. Good luck- Brian
quote:
Originally posted by BBQ Lineman:
I bought the SM009 a few months ago and like it so far,but I can not get the black crust on the meat like i did when I grilled the meat. I have tried differnet kinds of meat but to no aval do I get that crst which I like to eat. What am I doing wrong or what can I do to obtain the results that I wish? I`m glad to be part of the BBQ community.

You will not get crust like you got with your grill. A very long smoke will give you some bark, but if you think about it, you have to be in a dry enviroment to get the bark. The CS offers an incredibly moist cooking enviroment. If you smoke too long you will get a dried out piece of meat or at least a piece of meat that is overcooked. The brown sugar will add to the bark, but it will not be what you were used to.
quote:
You will not get crust like you got with your grill.

Tony is absolutely correct you will not get the same crisp crust that you get on your grill. I went from a log burner to an 08 and crisp you can't get but black you can. As was stated above just kick up the sugar and it'll get plenty black and the flavor will be the same. What I discovered though, was that upon reheat or freezing the leftovers the crisp crust from the log burner butt was no longer crisp anyhow so only on the first night was there really a crisp crust. Now I just don't worry about it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.