Skip to main content

It seems that more and more of the meat we buy is injected in some way. Personally I think it is just a way to add water and weight and jack up the price, calling it new and improved. When all it really does is improve the company margins.

I haven't seen a non injected turkey in years, and I have made it a point to look. More and more of the meat we buy of all types I suspect is injected with salt brine and other unkown flavor enhancers.

Is there anyway to tell? Are the primal cuts done at the processing plant, or is it done at the retail level or both? Do cryovacs for the same cut, also come both ways?

I've asked a couple of meat cutters at local establishments and they don't seem to know anymore than I do. But I guess they are meat cutters and not butchers.

Finally do you have any other thoughts that might add to our enlightenment.

Thanks, Wink
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In theory,it should say on a sticker they have for the package.

The producer says it is only replacing the fluids lost in shipping,killing,handling,etc.

It makes meats look better longer,and helps keep poor cooks from overcooking the product?

Stopped by Wallyworld today for some canned goods.

They had T-bones & strip steaks with 12% injection.

Sam's does not inject the meats,except chicken pieces,and turkeys from the producer.

Wallyworld will be injected meats.

Your stores may be able to get you Kosher,or fresh noninjected turkeys.

Sanderson's has large billboards on the interstates,that they don't inject.

Winn Dixie carries the brand.

If the meat manager will do it,the injection should be marked on the cases.

I would be surprised to find a supermarket that sees a primal cut.

They mostly trim and package.
Last edited by tom
I can only speak for this small town and not any others, but our super wally world has the best ribeyes of anywhere we have ever purchased them and we eat alot of ribeyes, at home and in restaurants. I never noticed if they are injected or not, and do not care. They are good. I also don't care if the briskets and butts and shoulders and yardbirds are injected because they are always very good when I do them up in my little Smokette. That is what matters most to me, the end product.
Pork has to label all water added; over 0%

Poultry can be up to 10% without declaring added moisture.

This all came about during the Clinton administration much to the grumblings of the National Pork Producers. Thank Don Tyson, Arkansas, for the rule. NAFTA too.

I'm not trying to sound political, just stating the facts, as I heard them, back when I was on the Pork Board.
Informing the public,they thought might be confusing?

I don't disagree that some things,like the pork loins from the new lean bred hogs,probably cook better.

Given the choice,I'd rather brine/inject and save the 15% they charge me for saltwater, as pork.

Kinda like $8/lb steak that is 12% saltwater.

Since I raised beef cattle and my boys are beef cattle operators and kill our own beef,I can assure you there is a big difference in the aroma wafting outa the house from an iron skillet of home beef and watered beef. Smiler
Last edited by tom
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
Since I raised beef cattle and my boys are beef cattle operators and kill our own beef,I can assure you there is a big difference in the aroma wafting outa the house from an iron skillet of home beef and watered beef. Smiler

Amen Tom! Definitly a different aroma to fresh, home raised beef along with fantastic flavor! All our beef is grass-fed, hormone and antibiotic free and aged at least 21 days. Nothing like it in the grocery store.

As Tom said, Sanderson Farms advertises non injected poultry. Our Kroger stores in Arkansas sells Sanderson.
Now I gotta admit,that I'd keep a couple Angus/Hereford cross steers,in there on their own mini pasture and feed them out on 13% protein creep feed,with plenty of molasses,for the last 90 days, to about 1000-1100 lbs ,and let the meat house hang them the three weeks for me.

Now that was always a money losin' proposition,but it made a fine winter of beef.

Always hated to waste a scrap.

Think that mighta been when I learned about cholesterol. Roll Eyes

The boys are more likely to take one that loses an eye,etc. and have it butchered.
Having just finished a couple of bone in pork butts and seeing again how long it takes to get that last few degrees, some of it has to do with water vapor pressure as you get near the boiling point of water. It takes a lot of heat to change from liquid to steam.

Now if you change, shall we say the straight, water in the meat to a salt water solution of some strength and or with other magic herbs and spices, you are going to raise that boiling point higher and as a consequence it is going to be easier to get the internal temperatures to a higher temperature quicker. Result more juicy meat that cooks faster. Better??? Confused

As for the beef, what got me real riled up is I paid some good money for a Safeway Ranchers Select steak. After searing it hot all this gunk, not blood oozed out in the pan. There is nothing on the label other that Ranchers Select, so however they do Ranchers Select is known not to the buyer, but I am very sure that the added juiciness advertised, is not what you would do down on the farm.

The same can be said for ham, especially spiral cut ham, so the brine will be absorbed quicker, as I said virtually all turkeys, now I read chicken, and "real" bacon. The only dry cured bacon I can find without going to a speciality meat place is at Costco and finding reasonably pork bellies is not longer available. I've made a lot of Buckboard bacon and same out of loin, but it is just not the same. Roll Eyes
"why were the National Pork Producers grumbling about 10% water added poultry?"

The Pork Producers Assn wanted to go to 10% added, without labeling too. Actually they are packer lackeys, by wanting that, the producer doesn't benefit, actually looses, by the extra tonnage hitting the market (14% extra tonnage @ 10% water added to a 70% carcass yield).

Beef: Much is wet aged, meaning it is sprayed with water, soaking it up, simular to poultry chilled in water after processing, wicking up 10%. I think hamburger is water added too.

Alot of the pork these days is so lean and poor quality, they felt they had to put some flavor and moisture in it. Iowa State U developed pork injecting and are quite proud of it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.