Skip to main content

I am considering buying a 009, and have what is probably a stupid question, but here we go. I realize that the unit will come with times to cook various cuts, and the idea is to close the door and don't touch it until it is done. My question is this, if I want to serve brisket and ribs, which have different cook times, is this possible. Is it going to be an issue opening the door to add the ribs in the middle of the cooking process for the beef.

I am looking at several brands, and I think the cookshack 009 is the one for me, but I want to be able to do different types of meat for a given meal.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

But it sounds like you're going to be watching the clock on this. The favorite saying around here is that "it's done when it's done" which means, use the times as a guide and then check for tenderness or in the case of ribs, the 'bone twist' method.

Read the 'xxxxx 101' files for the meat you are cooking and also search the forum for tips.

Unfortunately, most of the members here will tell you to ditch the cookbook that comes with the units.
The problem with adding ribs later in the cook is that most of the wood has already given it's all. I prefer to add my meat all at once at the beginning so they all get that initial blast of smoke. Then I don't add any more wood during the cook.

This works well with ribs, because they reheat so well and so easily on a hot grill.

Keep in mind rest times for your brisket when planning out the timing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.