Skip to main content

I've learned from the forum that meats cease to aquire smoke flavoring once the internal temperature of the meat reaches 140 degrees. Would it be a good idea to smoke the meat until it reached 140 and then foil it and put back in smoker, or the oven for that matter, to complete cooking.

I'm thinking this might make for a more juicy product.

Dan Ayo
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just because the smoke stops penetrating, it will also continue to adhere to the outside.

If you foil, you'll end up braising it and it will potentially have a different texture.

If you foil to early, a lot of the fat won't have rendered and when you wrap it, you'll end up braising it in it's own fat.

Some (although I don't like it, nor recommend it) like to take it to 165 to 175 then they finish in the oven. WHY? I don't know, but they do.
When I was burning sticks I would foil the brisket after 6 hours than stick it in the oven until it was done. Once it went in the oven I could get some sleep. With the CS I dont see any reason to do either. They come out nice and juicy if you take them out around 185 to 190.
The meat is already in a temperature controlled cooking device. Why would you want to move it into the house oven? I have done that very thing using an offset grill using charcoal and wood. Each time I do it the bride raises Hell. It makes the whole house smell like a BBQ joint. It is nice for a bit, but it takes days for the smell to go away, and that is with candles lit and scent sprayed. Good Lord if ya get company. They like it at first also, but later they say it gets repulsive over a period of time. This is the reason I got to order an AQ 5 days ago. My bride is sick of it ....... lol
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Ayo:
...Tried twice but they don't come near to falling off the bone.

Generally (as in, most of the time but I can't prove it)

Ribs are tough because:

1) you over cooked them. These will be indicated by the meat be dry, tasteless and basically not fun to eat

2) you didn't cook them long enough. If there is still fat, good texture to the meat, but they're not tender you need to cook them longer.

Don't forget, and many people do. One rack of ribs is not the same as the next. They can be a pound or more different in weight and that pound can be a significant amount of time to finish, thus one will be underdone and maybe one overdone.

If you cook a LOT of ribs, just weigh the slabs, keep great notes and you're ribs will improve quickly.

Have to say, I was pretty pumped, last contest got a first in ribs and beat all the Big Dogs. And no, I can't give the secrets away, but tell me what you're doing and I'll help.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.