Skip to main content

Howdy folks,

Does anyone have a sauce recipe that is close to or similar to Cattlemen's Classic sauce?

I know I could buy it at Sam's---but I would rather make it from scratch. (With a few additions of course)

I read this forum every day and I am in awe of the knowledge you guys have accumulated.

Thanks for your help,
VegasBBQman
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For me, the cost of trying to recreate someone else's sauce (especially Cattleman's) just isn't worth it.

Maybe someone has a knockoff that they can help you with. Unfortunately there are 1,000's (if not millions) of sauce recipes out there, so it's hard to know where to start.

There are some good ones here in the forum, but I can't say that they're like cattleman's.

Check out this link to the best of Forum Sauce collection:
Best of Forum Sauce Post

Good luck in your search.

Smokin'
I TOTALLY agree with Smokin'. Why reinvent the wheel in this case? Buy the Cattlemen's and doctor it up to your liking. Many pros do exactly that.

And I'm a guy who DOES reinvent the wheel far to often. Just wouldn't do it in this case, especially when you look at the cost factor. You can't make it as cheaply as you can buy it.

Good luck either way, though!
cattleman's is one of the ingredients in mine. try this... open a can of catsup and put in steam table/double boiler. add two cups cattleman's, 2 cups brown sugar, a half cup of your butt rub, a cup of vinegar, 4 oz lemon juice, 2 oz habenero or tabasco. you can tweak this some with a-1 or worsterchire, throw in you own stuff if you like, but try to keep it simple and cheap...
heat til bubbly, stiring occasionally.
let it rest in fridge overnight.
My "main" issue with making sauces is the price of tomato sauce, tomato puree, large amounts of ketchup, etc.

I try to find a sauce that I can use as a "base" and it saves me some expense, when I can get it in 1 gallon jars.

Do I use Cattlemans, KC Masterpiece, Kraft, etc straight out of the bottle...No.

Do I use them as bases...

Maybe Cool
I thought the Arby's BBQ sauce tasted like, or was Cattlemens BBQ sauce. I found this on the Web...I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it will work!!

dan

Arby's Sauce

Notes:
This is ketchup with a kick. No one does this better than Arby's. We did find that Lea & Perrins gave the best flavor for this sauce.

Ingredients:
1 C. Water
1/2 C. Catsup
2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1/4 C. White Vinegar
3/4 tsp. Onion Powder
3/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Paprika
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
1/8 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
Corn Starch Mixture (thickening mixture)
1 Tbsp. Corn Starch
2 Tbsp. Water
Mix well set aside.

Preparation:
Place all sauce ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed for 15 - 20 seconds. Pour ingredients into a small saucepan, heat on medium low. Simmer gently for twenty minutes, stirring several times. After twenty minutes add corn starch mixture, stir well. When sauce begins to thickens let simmer on a very low temperature for ten minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
Mixture will be similar in thickness to steak sauce. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator. This sauce is a nice change on hamburgers or pastrami, and great dipping sauce for hot wings.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.