Skip to main content

Well, finally something different for me to smoke. I've been doing blood donations for umpteen years and am up to over 43 gallons. Well, this new community blood collection is sponsored by a resident who is great. He orgainzes a great meal, usually with some Italian flare and lots of wines donated by local wineries. This time we had wild hog. There are lots of wild hogs in the hills around us and they don't make the owners of the vineyards too happy.. so, they are shot and consumed. Once or twice a year they provide a free wild hog entree for the blood donors.. mmmm. As things were winding down I asked the sponsor if I could get some of the uncooked hog.. be glad to pay for it. Well they wrapped up a couple of pieces for me, gratis.

They weren't cut by a butcher so I don't know what they would be called.. but one is the piece that covers the back of the shoulder.. I guess on us humans it would be the "wing" on our upper back below the shoulders. There is a lot of meat on it but not very thick.. ALMOST NO FAT. I looked at the other piece which is part shoulder and some ribs. Again, almost no fat.. guess it's because these critters really have to work for their "living".

I'm looking forward to trying shoulder "blade" piece first as a trial cook.. Hopefully, the moistness of the CS will keep it from drying out too much.. and the thiness will cook it up in about 8 hours or so. We'll see what Mr.Taylor's probe leads me to. I dusted it with one of my favorite rubs, Papa's (low salt type) and sprinkled a little Tony Chachare's Creole seasoning on it also.

Here's hoping...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.