Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Some, not most, processed food have MSG, and if they do it is on the ingredients list.

True, foods that contain MSG have to list it on the ingredient list. However, many processors can hide MSG in other ingredients that will appear on the label but not listed as MSG. Here's a partial list of ingredients that always contain MSG.

Monosodium Glutamate
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
Hydrolyzed Protein
Hydrolyzed Plant Protein
Plant Protein Extract
Sodium Caseinate
Calcium Caseinate
Yeast Extract
Textured Protein (Including TVP)
Autolyzed Yeast
Hydrolyzed Oat Flour

Now,don't get me wrong. I don't have a crusade against MSG but it can be there and you won't ever know it. Those who have high blood pressure and are on a low sodium regimen need to beware.
I do not mean to argue, however I don't exactly agree with the above post.

M-S-G IS Mono-Sodium-Glutamate.

I do not believe the other ingredients listed all contain monosodium glutamate.

I am not an advocate of MSG usage and probably do not need the extra sodium myself.

I love ramen noodles.
The ingredient list presented above was extracted from a report By Dr. Russell Blaylock, MD regarding the hidden sources of MSG in foods. It's authenticity I cannot verify or deny. Nor can anyone on this forum. I think Sir Francis Bacon said it best when he said, "Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted ...but to weigh and consider."

The MSG issue is a topic that at this time is purely and simply subject to public debate.

Now, why don't we all get back to discussing the topic which is most important to us, and that we all understand, making some great Cookshack Q. Smiler
willies!!!!!
i luv it!!!!!!
lj,
on msg while your sil would rather see msg than salt i have seen peg when msg hits her so in my case the sil is perhaps mistaken in cases of true msg alleregies. as a vet i guess i saw a lot but when i see her reaction to msg it scares the hell out of me!!! for this reason we never use msg nor the more dangerous peanut products in anything we cook for sale.
sorry to disagree with an md but it simply is not worth our risk nor the risk to our customers health.
jack
quote:
Originally posted by prisonchef:
willies!!!!!
i luv it!!!!!!
lj,
on msg while your sil would rather see msg than salt i have seen peg when msg hits her so in my case the sil is perhaps mistaken in cases of true msg alleregies. as a vet i guess i saw a lot but when i see her reaction to msg it scares the hell out of me!!! for this reason we never use msg nor the more dangerous peanut products in anything we cook for sale.
sorry to disagree with an md but it simply is not worth our risk nor the risk to our customers health.
jack

I know some peoplle are allergic to it, I did not think they would use it under any circumstances. For those not allergic it's better for them than salt. I agree, if I were providing food to the public neither would I use MSG or peanut products.

John

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.