Skip to main content

I have used alot of obie cues sweet rub and love the flavor it gives to my ribs. I just went to their website and was going to order a 5qt jug of it when I noticed it contains MSG. That sucks!!MSG is not good for you. Can anybody point me to a Rub similiar to Obies for my babybacks? Maybe a homemade rub of similiar flavor. Happy Q'ing. Mack
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Personally, I look at each rub's makeup and see what the percentage of MSG is in it. If it does make into one of the primary ingredients, I don't see a problem as it will be a very low percentage of the total rub.

I know this does not answer your question, but I happen to like OBQ for what it is.

And no, I don't know of any rub without MSG that replicates OBQ.
Without getting into the minimal health considerations of a naturally occurring substance,many seasoning producers are being politically/marketing correct and leaving it out.

Now ,the cooks are forced to buy it and add back into the seasonings.

Not wanting to start an argument ,if one of the rare folks that have a reaction to it are joining us.

Apparently,those folks do have an unpleasant experience,if it can be isolated as that is the true cause.

I believe Cookshack's new brisket rub may be msg free?
I'm with Tom on this issue. Unless you have identified a specific reaction to it like stomach upset or headache, I would not worry about MSG. The concerns that were raised 10-15 years ago have been disproven.

IMO, MSG is a wonderful flavor enhancer without imparting its own taste. So Ribhead, don't worry about it and continue to use your favorite rub. Big Grin

If you are having guests over and know someone has a problem with MSG then use an alternate at that time.
And yes Sweet N' Heat is used alot,and I've never met anyone that thought it had more than a little back heat ,to balance the sweet.

As a disclaimer,I've been cooking with msg for about 50 years,and a friend of mine claimed he got an allergic/itch/sneezing reaction to it at a greasy spoon meat & threes in east Ky,back in the 90's.

Guess there must be something to the legend?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.