Skip to main content

Well, I'm the proud new owner of a Cookshack 08 Smoker! I'm an Okie transplant to Minnesota and the BBQ is absolutely horrible up here. Being an Okie and partly growing up in Texas, I am a pretty picky BBQ eater. I'll be doing mainly beef ribs, brisket and poultry...bologna too (it's really good smoked but what isn't?).

I've read that you need to season your new smoker and some folks suggest doing a "cheap meat" to help the process. Does it matter what kind? I was thinking hot dogs. It doesn't get much cheaper and fattier than hot dogs. Any suggestions?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First off WELCOME to the forum !! To season your smoker you need to put about 4-6 oz. of wood in set it to 225 and close the door for about 4 hrs. EMPTY of any product NO MEAT !! After that most would suggest a nice big fat pork butt, you do have a remote thermometer don't you ?? I'm sure others will address this to .

Good Luck
Mark
Did my first brisket today. About 6.5 pounds for 8.5 hours. I think I used too much wood. The outside was very black and the outside tasted somewhat bitter...almost metallic but it was a definite smoke flavor. I am not used to such a well contained system. I'm going to try another one next week with about 1/3 the wood.
quote:
Originally posted by HurricaneJake:
Did my first brisket today. About 6.5 pounds for 8.5 hours. I think I used too much wood. The outside was very black and the outside tasted somewhat bitter...almost metallic but it was a definite smoke flavor. I am not used to such a well contained system. I'm going to try another one next week with about 1/3 the wood.

Jake,

Start out low rather than high with wood. Lightly smoked food is better than oversmoked food and you can always increase the wood with the next load. I guess you already figured this out, though. :-)

Donna

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.