Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Amy, Tom turned me on to smoked baked potatos some time ago. Now they are a family favorite.
I bake the potatos in the oven until completely cooked. Then I scoop out the middle in a large bowl. Add some cream cheese, sour cream, green chilles, chedder cheese, bacon, and canned corn is good. I mix it all up, re-load the potatos and put them in my smoker for maybe 45 min. You wont need a lot of wood. I use a small piece of hickory. Pull them out and eat. GOOOOOD!!!

Smoke N Italy
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Posted this before, lost in a thread probably...

We're not fans of Smoked Potatoes. Low temp and smoke, what we get out it was off colored potatoes and the smoke didn't really add that much flavor, for us.

They're just different. Some folks love 'em; we didn't.

Hey Smokin, did they feel/look a bit like a baked potato that has been reheated at a fishcamp?

That's what they remind me of when I smoked them. Smiler
I made some potatoes in my 009. They took 6 hours at 250. I used 6oz of hickory. The skin was black and chewy, and not too tasty. I put the leftovers in the fridge overnight, then peeled off the skins, cubed them (smaller than 1/2") and pan fried them with eggs and sausage for breakfast tacos. They were superb, and lended a nice amount of smoke flavor. They would probably make good home fries or some very interesting potato salad. But I agree - they didn't make great baked potatoes.
Hey Randy, how youse doing?

Yeah around that. I've actually done them for smoke for an hour or so, then finish on a higher temp.

The twice baked sounds good.

My issue with lower temps is that for a fluffy potato, you need the humidity to escape. That doesn't have in the Smokette/Electrics, it's just too humid in there. That's why they came out "not white".

I'm not saying don't try, we just didn't like 'em. Lots of people love them. If I did them in a small CS, I'll do them on max temp.
We often toss spuds in with a butt or brisket. "Yes," if you are looking for a fluffy white baked potato it ain't gonna happen.

But, as Dan-Q said, these are good for dishes that don't necessarily need a "baked" potatoe but call for a solid potato, i.e., potato salad, etc. We love them as fried tatters & eggs for breakfast.

Give it a shot. Ya don't know until ya try it. Big Grin
Last edited by wheelz
I do baked potatoes alot. I don't smoke them but I think you might wash your potato then oil it and wrap it in foil. Bake it for 1 hour and 15 mins.at 350* in your oven, then have your smoker ready with the smoke rolling and take a fork and poke a few holes in the foil and smoke for about 15 more mins. I would have your smoker turned up all the way.This should give it a little smoke and not turn it dark. Good luck Smiler
Amy,

We like baked potatoes, but a potato is so mild flavored adding smoke flavor will replace the potato flavor - just our opinion. We do have a method of baking a potato that never fails us and is as follows;

1. Wash, dry and oil the skin.
2. Salt with Kosher salt.
3. Bake at 400 degrees in an oven - no foil.
4. Check the internal temperature with an instant thermometer. (the thermometer we used to use for checking our CS55 smokings - the AmeriQue replace it). When the internal temperature reaches 208-210 degrees it will be done without being dry.
5. If we want the potato to taste like sour cream, we use it.
6. If we want the potato to taste like chili, we use it.
7. If we want the potato to taste like onions we use it.
8. If we just want a potato to taste like a potato we just use a little butter, salt and pepper.

My wife's family came over from Ireland in three stages - during the potato famine, after the potato famine, and during the early part of the 1900s. They were poor, moved to Kentucky to work the coal mines and obtaining food was a priority and they still relied on potatoes. Now let me tell you, her grandparents and parents knew potatoes and the only way they would have eaten a smoked potato was if the house burnt down and the potato pile, over in the far corner, had cooked in the fire. Big Grin

smokemullet
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.