Skip to main content

Well---This is certainly a stupid post. Somehow, the fridge was left open. For some reason, the door is not closing on it automatically as it used to...So, the downside is this...
I smoked a Pork Butt all night Monday and pulled it yesterday. It has probably sat in the firdge for about eight hours at a temp that is cool, but definitely not cold...
I hate to toss it...should I ?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You should have taken a temp probe and checked the temps of the meat. The same thing happened to me. I have a second froge in the garage for ...er, huh...cold drinks and someone didn't close it all the way. It was during the summer and it was hot. One of the kids must have taken a bottle of water out in the morning for school and didn't close it all the way. But the time I got home from work (total of 12 hours being open), I checked the meat temps and it was fine. Of course the frige was working itself to death to compensate......If it's too late to check the temperature of the meat and you're still in doubt, toss it and start over to be safe.

I don't take chances when it comes to food, it's just not worth it.

dan
I read the post twice to make sure I read it correctly. I think the smoked and spiced meat will be fine to eat as long as it was cooked to at least 150* and placed in a sealed container, which I reckon it was if you pulled it. A raw butt would be a different story, of course. It all boils down to how you feel about it.

Smiler
Shame. I'll leave cooked meat out all day (covered) and wouldn't give a second thought to heating and eating.

I've had mild cases of food poisoning but it has always been from seafood cooked at a restaurant..never from home grilled or smoked products left out for up to 12 hours without reheating.

Your mileage may vary ;-)
quote:
Originally posted by prisonchef313:
[qb]
just out of curiuosity what was the time frame from eating meat that set out all day to eating at a seafood restaurant? was it in the 48 to 56 hour area?
thanks
jack [/qb]
No. I've been sick 3 times from seafood that I ate without reheating after bringing it home from a restaurant and allowing it to sit on the counter for a few hours.

Usually the symptoms set in within the hour.
I am "frayed" I agree with PrisonChef on this one! When there is a doubt chuck it. Especially, on seafood. Living here on the coast of SC I know many commericial fisherman. As a result I can purchase seafood as fresh as it gets. Lots of times I can trade "Q" for it. Hard to beat fresh caught grouper. Especially, for a Lb or two of "Q" I do not/will not buy fish,seafood in a grocery store. The following may be true for meat as well. From the feed lot to the table, I dunno...

For those less fortunate not to live at the coast (just kidding) consider this. The fisherman is out for anywhere from 4-10 days trying to maximise his catch, to recover his cost. His catch is on board for maybe days, depending on when he caught it,(day 1) then it goes to the fish house to be processed, (couple days) then to the grocery wearhouse or to the wholesale company they buy from (couple days) then to the coolers in the store or restaraunt. During all of these steps if the product is not handled carefully or correctly it can lead to serious problems. Remember the fish was caught two weeks ago!

I am sure some here have been witness to, as I have, the BLEACH WASH, LEMON JUICE WASH..on product that is suspect in order to prevent chucking the money spent. Eeker

I watched my neighbor reheat oysters several years ago and got so sick he turned colors (not stretching the truth one bit)...he won't/can't to this day be around an oyster roast! AND THAT is a terrible thing. Big Grin

So if the consumer is not careful it can lead to bad side effects. Frowner It is easy to take steps to prevent this. Just when in doubt....
quote:
Originally posted by jcbbq:
[qb]
quote:
Originally posted by prisonchef313:
[qb]
just out of curiuosity what was the time frame from eating meat that set out all day to eating at a seafood restaurant? was it in the 48 to 56 hour area?
thanks
jack [/qb]
No. I've been sick 3 times from seafood that I ate without reheating after bringing it home from a restaurant and allowing it to sit on the counter for a few hours.

Usually the symptoms set in within the hour. [/qb]
I don't let anything set on the counter for a few hours whether its cooked or not. Not even peanutbutter in a jar. No wonder you got sick!!!
LMAO

I just hope I am not ofending anyone, but I think there is alot of paranoia going around.

How many of you eat at buffets and salad bars?

I wonder what the temp of that redfish is that has been sitting on top of the pile at the supermarket all day?

We have beat this to a pulp, we might as well go ahead and beat it to death!

Big Grin
Hippie, Sorry I did not want to get off topic. The best answer as someone else pointed out would be to take its temp. As we all know the longer food stays in the danger zone the more suseptable it is to bad results. In the above case I would chuck it and remember it as a lesson learned.

I was splainin some thoughts to remember for JCBBQ's comment about gettin sick.

In any event I apolgize for any confusion. I guess its back to lurking till I learn a little bit more about forum ettiquette!
No really, I apologize. I am an old Air Force combat air controller way set in my ways and most of all I like a good argument, but all in fun. My sense of humor is often mistaken for 'smartmouthin'. Please post all you want even if off topic and don't be bashful. I know I come off slightly brash most times. Again, my apologies, sir.

BTW, I love seafood and never tasted anything that lives in water I didn't like, including sushi.

Smiler
Anyway...I would have re-heated and eaten the pork. If it was fully cooked, didn't have any product in it that is susceptible to spoiling, and I was not serving it at a restaurant, I'm willing to bet it's still sound...you didn't leave it outside overnight..it was still in a (mostly) controlled environment.

Seafood, as discussed, is a horse of a different color.

But to each their own...feel free to send me any prime rib that you feel is suspect. I'll pay for the shipping ;-)
quote:
Originally posted by BaltimoreBayside:
[qb] [QUOTE]I don't let anything set on the counter for a few hours whether its cooked or not. Not even peanutbutter in a jar. No wonder you got sick!!! [/qb]
Well, I don't touch public doorknobs in the winter, I don't eat at buffets, and I wash my hands every time I have to shake somebody's hand so I guess we all have our own little issues. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by jcbbq:
[qb]
quote:
Originally posted by BaltimoreBayside:
[qb] [QUOTE]I don't let anything set on the counter for a few hours whether its cooked or not. Not even peanutbutter in a jar. No wonder you got sick!!! [/qb]
Well, I don't touch public doorknobs in the winter, I don't eat at buffets, and I wash my hands every time I have to shake somebody's hand so I guess we all have our own little issues. Big Grin [/qb]
Well, what do you know. I thought that Howard Hughes was dead. He's still alive and on the CS forum.

Now, if we could only find Elvis.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.