Skip to main content

This Sunday I am planning on smoking a 3' Diamondback rattlesnake and about 10 quail I shot last season in Arizona. I will probably leave the snake naked and enbrochee the quail (jalapeno/bacon). I will also have MainlyDave's Jalapeno Poppers and his chicken wings (http://www.lamaine.com/bbq/).

Any ideas on ANY of the above items would be helpful.

PS - I just got my SM009 on Memorial Day ('07) and did about 14 lbs of Ribs (Loin) over Hickory - They were great! I am doing a Pork Butt tonight. Can't wait!!!

Thanks CookShack!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I haven't had any rattlesnake in a few years. We have timber rattlers here and they get huge, 6' and even longer. I think they are actually Southeastern Diamondbacks, but we always called them timber rattlers. It is illegal to kill any snake here that is not causing a nuisance, and I thought it was like that everywhere in the U.S. We have a few large king snakes in the yard and garden. If it weren't for them, the mice and copperheads would be a problem.

Cool
Couldn't agree more with GLH.

King snakes are great to have around. They eat all manner of chewing critters as well as other snakes. They are immune to other snake's bites.

Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. They are completely harmless.

Actually, the "leave them alone" idea should go for all snakes and wildlife, for that matter. Every animal fits into the world somewhere and should be allowed to live its life and go about its business.

Now I'll step off my soap box and get back to smoking something for dinner.
The chicken wings turned out good – I will reduce the wood next time (4oz down to 2oz) – A little too much smoke on them. But the wings were nice and tender.

The snake sucked! Never again.

The Quail was wrapped with a jalapeno and bacon. It cooked too long as it was dry (maybe Quail is dry – it was in the freezer for 6 months!) The taste on it was great tho.

The Jalapeno poppers were the BEST EVER! I hollowed out the peppers and stuffed them with cream cheese and put a piece of bacon on top and secured with a toothpick! The bacon was ½ crisp and turned out perfectly!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_1349
wheels - that was exactly my same reaction! Slice - next time in your jalapenas cream cheese mix it with some leftover chopped up smoked meat, a little shredded cheese, some chives (or finely chopped onion), and season to taste with garlic powder. And you can get inventive with the stuff you add to the cream cheese! Ive used those tiny salad shrimp in these too! mmmmmmmm

Bob

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.