Skip to main content

Y'all let me know what you think of this and please add comments and/or suggestions.

Have a 15 pound doe hind quarter (venison ham) in kosher salt and red wine vinegar ice brine since monday the 6th. Plan on smokin it fri morn the 10th.

1. inject with hot sauce and worchestershire sauce mix
2. rub with canola or olive oil, then Montreal Steak Seasoning
3. cover with cheap fatty bacon
4. load woodbox with lots of hickory, apple or cherry
5. smoke on 200* until 160*

Yes, she was a big deer and even had a fat layer from eating lots of corn.

Cool
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Actually, just smoking it like a roast. Thanks.

Tonight I took it out of the brine and rinsed it off and trimmed and injected with a 50/50 mix of homemade habanero-maple hot sauce and Lea & Perrin's. 10 oz. total. I forgot to rub on the canola oil, rubbed liberally with Montreal Steak and triple wrapped tight with Saran and put in the fridge. I think it might be too long to fit in my Smokette. We'll see in the morn.

Cool
Say Hippie,
You mentioned she had a layer of fat. Did you trim it off? Wild game tallow/ fat can add that gamey flavor that alot of folks don't like. So you may want to trim as much as possible of the natural fat, and rely on only that fatty bacon you spoke of.

Just a thought.
Thanks Geiyser. Yes, but for some dumb reason I waited until after I took it out of the brine yesterday. I think I should have trimmed it before doing anything else. It sure is going fast, I hope the probe isn't misplaced. 3 hours and 25 minutes into the cook and it is 122* already. Smokette is set on 200* and the meat temp started out at 37*. Ouside temp started out 43* and is now 57*. I reckon no need to turn the heat up. I think it will be good.
OK...timeline...

3-6-05, 0800 - put 15 lb. frozen deer ham in cooler, smothered in kosher salt both sides, covered with ice, poured in 4 gallons cold water, poured in one 12oz. bottle garlic flavored red wine vinegar

turned and added ice next 3 mornings

3-9-06, 1600 - rinsed under cold water, toweled off, trimmed off some fat and silver skin, injected with 50/50 homemade maple-habanero hot sauce/worchestershire, rubbed liberally with Montreal Steak, wrapped tightly in Saran, placed in fridge

3-10-06, 0700 - rubbed with more Montreal Steak, covered with cheap fatty bacon, put in smoker at 200* with 8oz. white oak heart, meat temp 37*, outside temp 43*

1330 - outside temp 65*, meat temp 161*, gave bacon to back yard mongrel, wrapped tightly in heavy duty foil, wrapped in 2 towels, put in dry cooler with old comforter on top (takes up empty space and helps insulate)

1800 - had deer ham sammiches and baked beans for supper (that's dinner), the meat was very good except just a tad too done and a tad spicy for me, had it on deli buns with spicy brown mustard, very delicious, it was really tender and moist for deer, must have been the corn and the brine, I decided the brine is what made it cook so fast

Razzer

The next 5 pics are posted below, as explained above.
It was a fairly mild smoke, heartwood white oak, but it did penetrate the meat. It was smoky enough, but not as much as I like. The bacon was only on the top side of the meat. The idea is to have the bacon grease seep down into the meat as it melts. I think it would happen better at higher temps.

Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.