Skip to main content

So, I have about 30-40 poeple coming over this saturday. This is my first shot to really do up some BBQ for Friends and Family and want to pull off a good BBQ...

So, this is what I have put together...

I am thinking of doing -

1) 2-3 Briskets ( Probably start Friday afternoon and have done Saturday morning, throw in the cooler, wrap in foil and take out a hour before and cut and chop)

2) 1 Pork Shoulder ( I am going to try to cook at the same time as the Briskets)

3) Ribs - ( I am hoping to start these around 11:00am and have done by 4:00pm, so should be done by the time everyone starts showing up)

4) Baked Beans - ( I am going to use something from the forum and planing to cook these with the Ribs )

I think the girlfriend is going to make some coleslaw and we will have some adult bevs as well and we should be set...

I am looking at making some sauces as well.

I would like to make a
1)Vin sauce
2)Mustard sause
3)regular BBQ sauce... My girlfriend loves Byant's Sweet Heat, however I do not know if I would be able to get it here and figured I can make something almost as good.

Any Suggestions on sauce? I know Smokin has some good ones...

What do you guys think? Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Mica
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am thinking you had better start fri morning, as in put the briskets and butts in before you leave for work, or put them in on 200* thursday night at bedtime, then turn the heat up to 250* when you get home from work friday. The beans under the ribs is a good idea if laying the racks on the grates. Concentrate on the rub, and maybe they won't want sauce. Maybe inject some of your favorite marinade in the butt and briskets. 3 sauces does sound good though, since there are 3 meats. Oh man, it sounds like a good eat! Dontcha love it?!

Cool
I agree with GLH. Give yourself PLENTY OF time to get things done before guests start arriving. One small glitch (stubborn brisket or long time in a plateau) could throw you into a tizzy. Nothing worse that running around trying to get it right and entertain at the same time.

Hope all goes well for you! Big Grin
Thanks guys for the help....

If I start Friday morning or Thursday night the meat will be fine if I throw in coolers and wrap in foil?

You know I have never marinaded cooking in this thing never really made me do that. Any suggestions on a good marinade?

I will also take some pictures and post them Sunday afternoon or Monday morning...

Mica
Mica -- --

I was faced with this same delima a couple of weeks ago.

I hosted a HDT Rally in Winchester Bay, Oregon.

I wasn't sure exactly how many were comming -- So I prepared about 65 pounds of Pork and Brisket -- Split about evenly.

I started the week before and purchased the Meat in Coos Bay - At a Wholesale business.

I had 4 smokes and each was 22 hours in length.

Here is an album depecting the smoke process.

I had several volunteers for the re-heating -- Everyone said how good the BBQ was !!

For me -- With my 009 and a large gathering -- This method worked out perfectly !!

Dave
Mica -- --

The captions should have given you the answer .. Wink

Each tray was flash frozen and re-heated at the Rally in the oven of 4 RV's. Time to re-heat was 4 hours on the lowest oven temperature.

With the Brisket and the added onions/mushrooms/peppers -- The meat was as if just pulled from the smoker !!

With the Pork -- I added one frozen container of Apple Juice Concentrate to each of the two trays before freezing. Upon re-heating .. .. No liquid was on the bottom of the trays and the meat again was as if it had just come from the Smoker .. .. Cool

Hope this has helped .. .. Big Grin

Dave
Interesting....

I am thinking of starting Friday morning. Loading with the pork shoulder and the briskets.

Guessing I can get the pork and the briskets in the same load... Should be done by Saturday no problem...

Throw them in the coolers with foil... The coleman guy told me their coolers will keep it about the same temp for 3-4 days... I really do not know what to believe but, it should keep it for 6-8 hours I hope...

While they are holding I will do a few racks of ribs and the beans...

I hope this works.... If not well, I tried

M
Hey M,
I have a coleman extreme cooler as well. I did a few racks of ribs a couple weeks ago for a work function.
What I did was heat up about 4 big towels in the dryer till they were really warm (maybe overkill..) then put a couple towels in the cooler added the foiled meat (doublewrapped) and put another towel over the top. 6 hours later, they were still steaming and hard to handle when I went to cut them.

good luck with that cook!!
Things went very well....

The pork/brisket/beans were awesome and poeple were in love.

The sauce I used was a big hit. I used a mustard, two basic and one ving(however, only a few poeple used it)

The only problem I had was the ribs. I cooked them for about 3 1/2 hours and really did not look done. I placed them upside down and really they looked runny when I took them out. I pretty much left them in there for about 5 hours and had just alittle bit of red.

Poeple liked them, however I have seen better on the forum... So, I guess I will have to try again.

Mica

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.