Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've been cooking a lot of venison lately.... we have a long and generous season and I've bagged 3 already with a goal of 6.

I have yet to smoke an entire hindquarter so I'm combining what I know with what I think to be true....

Your target temperature will depend on how you want to serve the meat. For example thinly sliced like roast beef... I would go rare around 140 to 145... if you want something on the lines of pulled meat around 195.

I have cooked a complete neck to 195 and it pulls nicely... great for venison "butt" Q.

Cooking times for a large hindquarter are likely to run well over 12 and likely over 15.. if it is from a small deer you might get in around 8 to 10.

Bone in?

How pure do you want your product. I have laid bacon over the meat and like the smoked bacon but I don't see much difference in the way the final product tastes when it is served up. I prefer to fix deer with no other meat products but that's me.

The Cookshack Brisquet Rub is hard to beat as far as ready made spice for deer. I tend to go crazy with pepper so I get the mill out and crank on a load.

Consider injecting with your favorite flavor.... I've been experimenting with some Worcester and soy sauce.... butter I've yet to try. This should help decrease your cook time.

Seriously consider a brine. I've had great results with smaller pieces of meat. Small pieces like 6 inch lengths of back strap brined for 2 or 3 hours take a nice flavor... Everything I've learned about brining has been from here.... I keep it simple..... kosher salt, brown sugar, white sugar, pickling spices, alspice and a squirt of honey.

I don't have a favorite wood yet.... I like them all.... I think I lean toward mesquite and apple..... hold the mesquite if you want a milder smoke.

What I have found is if the meat is top notch going in it will be great coming out as long as it is not overcooked.

Please share you results! I shot a small buck this morning and I think I'll set aside a hindquarter.

Regards,

Richard
I generally de-bone all of our deer and smoke everything on my 55 except for the front shoulders, where it is easier to just smoke them with the blade in. My family and friends prefer cherry hands-down on the electric 55. For simplicity and flavor, the Creole Butter flavored injection by the Cajun Injector goes well with venison and seems to marry well with the cherry. As for rubs, that varies. It would be hard to go wrong with Cookshack Brisket rub. I think the real key is using cherry for us and an injection that doesn't take over the flavor. Hickory may be the most popular smoking wood out there, but with venison it just gives it a "wang" that my group doesn't like.

Paul

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.