Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here's my idea for a recipe: Cut medium sized tomatoes in half and coat with evoo. Spread some freshly smoked garlic on top of the tomatoes, add some graded parmesan cheese on top. Add some apple to wood box, and smoke @ 175 de for 30-45 min or until cheese is melted. When finished, top each tomato with a piece of freshly cooked bacon, and optional fresh whole or chopped basil leaf.
I have recently found a 3 pack of foil grilling trays in Wal-Mart for $1.79 which may be ideal for this.
Can't wait for summer!
Dave0320 has pretty much described the technique, with some very nice touches I had not thought of. One caution: use a very small amount of wood. It is easy to oversmoke veggies.

While you are at it, put some peppers, onions, and garlic in with the tomatoes. Make your favorite salsa recipe, substituting the smoked items for about 1/3 the total amount called for in your favorite recipe. (e.g. if you are using 1 c. tomatoes, use 2/3 c. fresh and 1/3 c. smoked).

I wish I had a recipe to post, but I just eyeball it. Tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, jalapenos or your favorite pepper that has some heat, and salt.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.