Skip to main content

Aaargh!
About 3:30 yesterday afternoon I brought a $36.00 rack of lamb home from the butcher. It was frozen solid and since i wanted to cook it today, the butcher advised me to leave it out on the counter and put it in the refrigerator before I went to bed. Well, wouldn't you know it ... i got up at 5:30 this morning to discover the d**n piece of meat still out on the counter! C**p! Of course, I immediately put it into the fridge ...

Do I chalk it up as a $36 lesson learned? Or is there a chance that it can be salvaged and cooked?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was afraid you would say that :-(
Unfortunately, it's Sunday and the butcher's not open and even if he was, a frozen piece of meat is useless to me today.

On the "fortunate" side, at least there's no guests involved. I was going to try roasting a rack of lamb for the first time today, and try it out on my family.

Oh well, there's always takeout ...
For your future reference... you *can* stick a frozen piece of meat into the smoker and it won't appreciably increase the time it takes to cook it. Some will even say that there is no difference.

I've dome it with roasts and butts and it works fine and lessens the planning problems. Do a search on 'frozen' and you might find some of the discussions.

Also, I would probably have cooked that lamb. It probably wasn't really thawed until shortly before you found it. But then, that's me.
When in doubt....

Even if the inside was still cold, the out 1 or 2 or 3 was certainly above 40 degrees for too long and thus in the Danger Zone.

While plenty of people cook inside the danger zone with no effect, plenty of people get sick easy too.

Just not worth the chance for me.

I have one of those simple minute times that buzz and annoy. I set it for an hour and it makes me go to the kitchen to turn it off. Works to remember to put it up.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.