Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I did a small (abt 4lbs) deer roast in my 008. Marinaded in red wine, garlic and parsely x 48hrs. Studed it with some pork fatback and wrapped the whole thing with some thick country bacon. 1 piece of cherry wood. Dont remember how long it took to get to temp (my logbook is a home). It turned out pretty good.
I haven't done a whole deer ham. I have done whole deer shoulders. Are we talking about deer here, or some other type of wild meat? Chief Mac's method sounds good. Italian dressing also works well. I agree with the fat and bacon help. If you have the right injector system, you can mix pork fat with spices and marinade and shoot into it. You might be well off to cut the hind quarter into as large of boneless roasts as you can. If you get the pieces of meat too small, they will dry out worse. The biggest mistake most people make with deer is they overcook it. I have purposely overcooked deer shoulders before and then chopped the meat up like pulled pork. Not bad at all. You might just want to bone it out and then slice into 1/8" thick strips for jerky. Deer makes the best jerky.

Tom is correct, as always. Lots of info if you look for it.

Good luck, and let us know how it turned out, please.

Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.