Skip to main content

Three men took my idea and opened a BBQ establishment in Kaiserslautern, Germany as a military concessionaire to the Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES). They lost their jobs as airplane mechanic contractors and dumped their savings into a BBQ trailer. I guess I was too slow. However, they are cutting corners. They have a 20 foot trailer with a wood smoker at the end. They have no smoke taste to their food (ribs, chicken and brisket) or coming out the chimney. I talked to the owners and I told them my wife and I are interested in doing the same thing. They wanted me to purchase a franchise, but I see a very limited menu and I want real BBQ with real smoked food. I told them when I retire next year I would be interested in joining forces with them and expanding the menu and adding an establishment in a food court setting vs purchasing a franchise. I know we can do a better job. They are also on the high side price wise. A pulled pork sandwich runs about $4.00 (a Burger King Whopper runs about $2.60). They have to compete with a pizza place, Burger King, and Taco Bell and they have no "value meal" or kid's meal to offer. I also know they need to put some hickory on the fire so the smoke does the advertising for them. I'm not sure they have a solid business plan but my wife and I think we can turn things around. We have been studying the military environment for years now and we know they need some help. I'll keep you posted if I join forces with them next year.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have an update on the BBQ vender in Germany (Ramstein Air Base). I went by today and at least they had smoke coming out of the chimney. The bad news is that it still did not smell like BBQ. A piece of burning hickory is their best form of advertising but they have not figured it out yet. I tried a pork sandwich (2nd time I did) and it still is missing something. The meat is moist, but it needs more flavor (rub). They got smart and added some sides. I had some beans and a side of slaw. I think the beans were out of a can with no extra items added. The slaw was a red cabbage vinegar based recipe. It reminded me of a Korean Kim she without the spices. I told them that the next time my wife makes her beans and slaw I will bring enough for the four of them to sample (HINT. HINT). My wife's slaw and beans kick butt. They are interested in expanding, but they need to get the basics down first. The sides need a lot more work and they need to make a value meal (sandwich, side and drink). This way they can compete with Burger King, Taco Bell, a pizza stand, and a hamburger/hotdog stand. They still are interested in me joining forces, but I have to retire and get another federal job first.
Good idea on the que sample. They only have one BBQ sauce and they apply it themselves. I'll look up the Smokin' Okie's Vinegar Sauce and make them a batch. By the way, they have a Southern Yankee trailer wood cabin style trailer. They were impressed I knew what type setup they had. I saw it advertised on the Smoke Ring before.
Papa Pig,

I agree with Smokin' Joe on this one, if they didn't do their research before hand leave them alone. When you bring out your Q they will be left alone wondering what happened. Word of mouth is the best advertising and also the kiss of death if your food doesn't past muster.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.