Skip to main content

I'm looking for ideas as to how to keep the area surrounding my smokette clean and free of grease drippings.
Last fall I installed a new EverGrain® deck and now it seems as every time I open the door or get near my smokette I have a new grease spot on the deck. The composite decking materials absorb the grease faster than I can wipe it up....

Has anyone found or used any protective mats or materials which look good and work?
Any other ideas?

Help... quick...my wife is threatening my life!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've had the same problem

We tried buying different mats from Home Depot,etc.

They always seem to be hard to handle,got stuff under them,were shaped slightly wrong,etc.

We now cook on several types,so I just put a plastic shower curtain under the area and throw it in the washer when we're down.

Not great, but it has saved the new deck.
I work for the company that makes Evergrain. I'll ask around a bit this week and see if there are any trade secrets or if you are just screwed.

One more thing for composite deck owners. Don't get milk on your deck. Not sure why, but for some reason it is the first thing said under "things not to get on composite lumber."

Pokes28
How about using one of the new "flexible" cutting boards/mats? My wife uses one for slicing & dicing. Seems to be tough as nails, about 1/32 - 1/16" thick and cleans very easy. They come in an 11"x15" size (other sizes aailable) which would be just about right for in front of the smoker with the front legs holding it down.

Do a Google search on "flexible cutting boards."

Just a thought...
OK. I finally got a few minutes to ask about this.

http://evergrain.com/carecleaning.jsp gives good overall cleaning tips. But I was told:

I also talked with someone here and they said any deck cleaner with oxolid acid (I think that is the correct spelling) and to clean the entire deck otherwise you will end up with a brighter spot where you cleaned.

I hope this helps.

And he was correct about the makeup of the composite decking. It is a combination of sawdust (I guess you could say recycled scrap from local lumberyards) and recycled plastics. It is some of the highest rated composite decking you can buy. But the market is very cut throat right now and with the Chinese decking manufacturers starting to import, I expect a lot of the manufacturers to either consolidate or to go out of business here in the US over the next 4 to 5 years.
I guess I should give the disclaimer that while I do work for the parent company of the company that makes that product. I'm not involved in any way with the manufacture of it or the tech support of it. Nothing I say on the matter should be taken as fact without verifying it first with those that know much more than me on the subject.

Regardless of who I work for, I'm just a computer geek that loves his new smoker.

Pokes28
At Lowe's Home Center they have rolled rubber matting located in the area of the carpet, tile and rug area in the rear of the store. You just roll off the length you need and cut it off to fit. My smoker area underneath is completely covered by the mat. I just take it out to the driveway, soap it down and hose it off after a few uses. I purchased this approximately 4 years ago and still looks in new condition. It is very reasonable in price. Works like a charm! Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.