Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is very greasy and tends to cook alot like wild boar or pork. Both animals will eat pert near anything. I imagine if you get some lean pieces seperated from the fat, you can make some fair jerky. I tried bear one time, not too many years ago and not far down the road from here. It had an interesting odor while cooking. I would have it ground with domestic hog fat and made into spicy sausage. Lots of spices to mask the strong flavor. Just me.

Cool
Like GLH said.

A couple days soak in salt water can't hurt.

Cooking like a pot roast/chuck roast will work.

Like GLH says,if you find a likely looking section,you can even pan fry as thin cut steaks.

It can be soaked,parboiled a little and chunked for stew.

Like GLH says,time of year and diet control fat and flavor.

Soaking a coulple days in red wine can help on leaner cuts.
Did I say all that?

Big Grin

Red wine sure can't hurt it!

I cannot imagine eating it without incorporating a whole lotta spice.

Maybe dem dar Yankee bars are better?

Around here they used to just cook down all the fat and ship the oil down the river in big troughs. How Oil Trough Arkansas got it's name, on the beautiful White River. I ain't kidding. Them old smelly beasts sure did make a comeback!

Roll Eyes
Bear meat is quite rich. Cook it not low, but medium and slow and you will have some of the finest eats around. It is also great for sausage; just dont need to add any fat. It is great cut at a 3/4" steak and cooked to about medium to render alittle greeze. And I normally like rare, just a little too rich that way. Enjoy!
OK...Project done. Have to brag a little. Did 15 # of summersausage and it is as good as any venison I have done. Did 18# of jerky and have to say it is as good or better than venison and beef. Wet brined for 42 hrs and in smoker for just about 12 hours. Black pepper on some, garlic on some and jalapeno on some. Also fried some thin sliced 'steak' in bacon grease with salt and pepper....YUMMY

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.