Skip to main content

Has anyone tried to cook corn on the cob in the smoker? Would seem to me the temp (225) is about the same as boiling water so the time and cook should be about the same. Husk on or off?

I didn't find anything with a search but I intend to try it. Think I will preheat the smoker and place the corn in a shallow pan with a little water in the bottom to keep it moist. Should be interesting.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hmmmm? Interesting!!!! I would use very little wood if any....maybe just cooking the corn in the well used (seasoned) smoker would be enough smoke flavor......I have used my smoker as an oven for many cuts of meat without wood and it still came out with some smoke flavor...

Husks on or off??? How about soaking the corn in water with husks on, then smoking, this would keep them very moist and not let too much smok on the kernals....

As far as time?? that's a good question??

dan
quote:
Originally posted by electro tech:
I remove the silk and husks then I wrap it in heavy foil with a tablespoon of butter and cook it at 225 deg for 4 hours with 2 oz of wood.I do my potatoes the same exept I quarter them.

electro tech, Just want to confirm that the foil is not wrapped tightly around the corn... correct? Is there an air gap or two somewhere in the foil? Otherwise, how will the smoke be able to penetrate the foil? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by Former Member
I grew up eating fried corn, it's awesome. Having grown up in the south though we ate everything fried. Anyone ever hear of a recipe with fresh corn scraped off the cob and cooked in a skillet with onions and cornbread with various other items. My aunt in Bowie, Texas used to make this for me as a child. She passed away before I could ever get the recipe from her.

Dan
Pull back the husks, take off all the silk, pull the husks back up, soak in cold water for an hour, take out and drip dry, place in preheated smoker on 250* for 1 hour. How much wood and what kind is up to you.

This is for good sweet corn. Field corn would need to be COOKED until tender. Big difference tween the 2.

Raw corn gives me the belly cramps.

Cool
This is from the Texas BBQ Rub newsletter:

THIS MONTHS RECIPE – CORN ON THE PIT OR GRILL

All you need to do is place the ears (in the shuck) in a large pail of water (an ice chest works great for this). Keep the ears submerged in the water for about 1 hour. Take them from the water and put them on your smoker or grill in the shuck. If you are cooking around 200 degrees they should be on there for about 2 hours. If you are cooking hot on the grill then an hour should be plenty. TIP: Do not cook these over direct heat as they will burn.

While the corn is cooking melt down some butter. Add about ¼ cup of rub to the 1 pound of butter and stir. Take the corn off the pit and pull the shuck down (remove the corn silk) and use it as a handle to hold the corn with. Brush the butter mixture over the corn and enjoy.

Of course you can use corn that has been shucked but you should add the butter mixture first and then wrap them in foil and place on the pit or grill.
I have smoked corn the last 2 times I have smoked. I did not use any wood. I cooked it after my meat had been cooked so there was plenty of smoke flavor to penetrate the corn without it being to overbearing.

First time placed shucked and cleaned corn in pan of butter water at 225 and cooked for 2-1/2 hours rolling the corn 4-5 times.

Second time seasoned corn shucked and cleaned with a rub and placed in zip lock bag, melted a little butter and poured it in. I then placed corn in fridge for 24 hours. Next day put in butter water and rub mixture and cooked 4 hours at 225 rolling corn 4-5 times.

In my opinion the second cooking was the best.
I fix it all the time on my Weber Smokey Mountain. I've tried it both ways, removing the silk and soaking in water, and without soaking or removing silk. I just remove enough layers of husk where about 2 layers are left. It seems with all the layers left on the smokey grilled flavor didn't penetrate much. Much of the time I just pull the silk off after it was done. Soaking it in water didn't seem to gain much so I don't even fool with it anymore. Comes out great in 45 minutes to an hour.
quote:
Originally posted by rainman:
I grew up eating fried corn, it's awesome. Having grown up in the south though we ate everything fried. Anyone ever hear of a recipe with fresh corn scraped off the cob and cooked in a skillet with onions and cornbread with various other items. My aunt in Bowie, Texas used to make this for me as a child. She passed away before I could ever get the recipe from her.

Dan

I found this doing a search on the Web....sure sounds good!!!!

ingredients
12 ears of corn, shucked
6 bacon slices, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup water
3/4 cup finely chopped scallion
preparation
Stand 1 ear of corn upright, pointed end down, in a large bowl and cut kernels from cob using a sharp paring knife. Scrape any remaining corn with its milk from cob into bowl using back edge of knife and discard cob. Remove kernels from remaining ears in same manner.
Cook bacon in a 12-inch heavy skillet (2 inches deep) over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes, then transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Cook onion in fat remaining in skillet over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add corn, garlic, and water (skillet will be very full) and cook over moderately high heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until corn is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in scallion and salt and pepper to taste, then sprinkle with bacon.
Cooks' note:
Corn can be cooked 6 hours ahead and chilled, covered (without scallion or bacon). Reheat in skillet or a 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, then stir in scallion and salt and pepper to taste. Bacon can be kept at room temperature, then reheated on a small baking sheet in a preheated 400˚F oven until hot, about 2 minutes.

At least this is a good start, you can always add anything!!!
dan
This is a great topic.

I had tried to do some two weeks ago while I was doing a meat loaf. We peeled back the husk and then removed the silk. Rewrapped the husk and then smoked. It was ok, but a little dry.

Last weekend I went to a pow wow in Cherokee,NC.. And one of the food vendors was doing corn on a large gas cooker. They took the corn and pulled off the tassles and the excess husk at the tip and then put it in a cooker at 300 drgrees.
They stayed till they were just starting to char in some spots. They then pulled them out and peeled the husks back and using a leather glove pulled the silks off. Dipped it in a tub of butter and wrapped a napkin around the base.
They sold over 20 dozen ears that day. The smoker wasn't real big, but at times there were 10-15 people in line waiting.
Not very good for the first attempt.

I:
1) Removed the silk
2) Cut the husks down to two layers
3) Soaked the ears for an hour
4) Put in 225 055 for an hour (not pre-heated) and then I turned it off for a half hour.
5) Used about 2 oz of apple but there were some charred pieces leftover. I figured that would be enough.

Corn was raw with a slight smoke taste. Someone mentioned it needed more smoke and for me it needed more cooking time.

Will adjust for next time.
Sounds like maybe you had field corn. Sweet corn will be good even when raw. Another possibility, especially if the corn was bought at the grocery store, maybe it was picked under-ripe.

I could go on and on about the wonders of having a nice garden, but would be off-topic. I would never do that!

Cool
Help ! How would you smoke sweet potato ?

In foil or not? Wood or just a seasoned smoker? How long & temp? Haad a cookshack smoker for years but it's been on vacation for too long! Reading on the forums has gotten us interested in dusting it off & smokin' again.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Redneck
quote:
Originally posted by redneck:
Help ! How would you smoke sweet potato ?

In foil or not? Wood or just a seasoned smoker? How long & temp? Redneck

Well Redneck, hope you don't mind a good laugh. But why smoke them in a smoker and wrap them in foil? Kinda defeats the use of the smoker (but that's ME and using foil, the dreaded F word...)

I don't like potato's in a CS. For us, it's too humid and I like the higher temps. That being said plenty of people love them and if you've already got food smoking, just add some potatoes while you're at it.

At the lower temps, 225 and 250, it will take a while for potatoe's to be done.

If you're doing them by themselves, I'd add a chunk of wood for flavor.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.