Skip to main content

In the smoker I have an 8lb deer neck that was brined overnight. It has been in the 055 for about 12 hours and is now at 170. My target temperature is 195.

I have a dedicated refrigerator for my fishing and hunting and right now in the bucket on the right I have 10lbs of venison getting corned and destined for pastrami.

In the bucket on the left I have a 13lb turkey in brine... this will get cooked Wednesday as a test turkey. The turkey for Thanksgiving will go in a brine tommorow am for cooking Thursday morning.

The other meat in the fridge will get processed as the week goes by.

Am I a maniac or what?

Attachments

Images (9)
  • 8_lb_neck_prior_to_injection_and_brine_(3)
  • neck_on_the_scale_(2)
  • inside_the_meat_locker_(3)
  • another_look_inside_(2)
  • 5lb_2ounce_meteor
  • close_up_of_neck_(2)
  • final_product_ready_for_sauce_and_packaging_(3)
  • Pastrami
  • after_smoking
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by spaerib:
esfishdoc: what kind of brine did you use for the deer? just put up a 9 ptr. tonight and will be doing summer sausage this weekend. paul

2 quarts water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

That is the part I actually measure and is pretty standard..... from there I add whatever I feel like.... some alspice.. some pickling spice, garlic, pepper... whatever the mood dictates.

I've done one other neck without brining if I remember correctly (I don't take notes)....

This one I've injected to see what kind of product I'll get.....

I'm up to only 175 degrees and I have to get up at 430 to go sit in the woods......

Good news is the wife usually stays up late and I can get her to take it out later tonight... she is so good.. when I mess up the kitchen (I do about 85% of the cooking..... ) she just laughs at me. ... and what about the other 15%? 10% we go out to eat and 5% she cooks.....
quote:
Originally posted by GLH:
Ya got me hungry for deer.

Why is the neck going all the way to 195*? Curious.

As of 1235 am it came out at 188.

Why 195? I did another at that temp and it pulled real good. This one yet to be determined. It came out early because when "I was done, it was done"

Picture to follow..... weighed in at 5lb 2ounces.

Richard
quote:
Cool. I didn't know venison would pull like pork, or probably more like beef. Show us some pulled venison! Thanks!

Pictures have been added showing the final product of the neck.

Previously all my neck meat went into sausage. From now on they will go become... what should I call it... VQ? Eastern Shore Butt? Bambi Q?

A North wind is whipping up around 15 to 20 this morning.... temp is about 38. Let me go see if I can find another neck!

Richard
esfishdoc.

The bambi's are falling here as well.
I have eaten a ton of venison during my misspent life but never a venison pastrami .
Perhaps you could give me, or refer me to some pointers .
Do you soak to partly de-salt the meat after corning?
DO you use a commercial pastrami rub or use your own spices?
I have scoured the net but have not found a commercial pastrami rub.
The gentleman from whom i inherited my CS55 bought a rub that in flavor was the very essence of Pastrami.
Many recipes for pastrami don't smoke at all but oven roast it.
Do you smoke it and finish in the oven or by simmering?

Those are my principal concerns.
I would not want to make you late reaching your stand but if time permits any assistance will be appreciated.
Best.
dick
quote:
Originally posted by mr jig:
esfishdoc.

The bambi's are falling here as well.
I have eaten a ton of venison during my misspent life but never a venison pastrami .
Perhaps you could give me, or refer me to some pointers .
Do you soak to partly de-salt the meat after corning?
DO you use a commercial pastrami rub or use your own spices?
I have scoured the net but have not found a commercial pastrami rub.
The gentleman from whom i inherited my CS55 bought a rub that in flavor was the very essence of Pastrami.
Many recipes for pastrami don't smoke at all but oven roast it.
Do you smoke it and finish in the oven or by simmering?

Those are my principal concerns.
I would not want to make you late reaching your stand but if time permits any assistance will be appreciated.
Best.
dick

Just got back from my morning session in the woods. I'm a meat hunter but I saw the biggest rack I've ever seen. I didn't have a shot at it but I've mid day and this afternoon.

I get most of my sausage and meat supplies from Eldon's. Here is the link for their pastrami kit.

http://www.eldonsausage.com/search_results.asp?txtsearc...romSearch=fromSearch

This evening I'm going to take a piece of meat out of the cure solution (corning)and dab on some pastrami spices and throw it in the cooker.

I also have the corned meat brine mix which is likely the same as in the pastrami kit but without the pastrami spices.

http://www.eldonsausage.com/search_results.asp?txtsearc...romSearch=fromSearch

I figure I can use the pastrami kit to see how it tastes and just imitate the flavors for future use.

I've seen plenty of recipes for corned meat... the Eldon's products make it easy.

Richard
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis-UT:
You're not married, are you.

I'm married to a wonderful understanding woman who loves venison including the heart and liver like I do...

I've updated photos..... just had to take a piece out of the corning brine a bit early.

I rinsed briefly, patted dry and put on a light coat of the pastrami rub.

With the door cracked I smoked and dried for an hour with the 055 set at 150, then closed the door and turned up to about 180 and got the internal temp up to 160. Smoked with about an ounce of hickory.

Very tasty but very salty. Sliced thin should be great on sandwhiches.

1st turkey goes in the cooker in the morning.

Richard
Doc, When Ive made pastrami from 3 pound corned beef flats I rinse them in fresh water for about an hour. Change w/fresh water and rinse flat again. I do this minimum 3 times. Then let it dry and rub and smoke. Really cuts down on the salt. My friends totally freak out w/end product.
I dont crack the door either except when im making jerky.

Just my thoughts here.

Im glad your getting maximum milage out of your new 55 and posting results. I love the pictures also.

Bull
quote:
Originally posted by bbqbull:
Doc, When Ive made pastrami from 3 pound corned beef flats I rinse them in fresh water for about an hour. Change w/fresh water and rinse flat again. I do this minimum 3 times. Then let it dry and rub and smoke. Really cuts down on the salt. My friends totally freak out w/end product.
I dont crack the door either except when im making jerky.

Just my thoughts here.

Im glad your getting maximum milage out of your new 55 and posting results. I love the pictures also.

Bull

I beleive when I take out the majority of the meat in a couple of days I will soak to remove some of the salty taste.

I was using some directions with the pastrami kit and they suggested leaving the door open to do some drying... not sure how much it really dried it I'll try both ways.
quote:
Originally posted by mr jig:
Thanks Richard for the steer to Eldons.
Methinks i'll try their Pastrami kit!

I guess you didn't see mr antlers again or we'd know by now!
Again,thanks.
dick

I went back to the woods and spent some time clearing a shooting path to where I saw him... then the rains came.

I woke up at 430 to hear the rain and the wind is whipping from the NE at 35 to 55 gusts.... even I'm not that crazy so I turned the alarm off.

Today I smoke a turkey!
quote:
I am very impressed with your success in creating pulled venison. Looks very tasty!

I have everyone here at cookshack to thank...

Simple progression of ideas..... boston butt.... (not from the butt end as many think but the neck...).. pulled pork.... yum yum very good.... venison necks.... hhhhmmmmmm I can debone and throw it in the grinding pile..... but I need something to smoke... that's it Venison Butt pulled Bambi Q.

When this idea sweeps the country remember you saw it here first.... on the other hand I'm sure someone else has done it.

Richard
My digital camera had an unfortunate ending today. I was out in a driving rain.... I had taken a picture of turkey #1 going in the smoker. I then put the camera in a pouch in the front of the cammo rain parka I had on and proceded to stack about a cord of wood. When I came in the house and retrieved the camera the pouch had an inch of water and camera was leaking water as I took it out......

This camera was an emergency replacement for the camera that went off a balcony railing in Hawaii this past February..... which was a replacement for the camera that was dropped on the deck of the boat the year before... well, you get the picture... no more pictures for a couple of days until my replacement gets here.

The turkey was put in the 055 with about 2 ounces of apple. It had been brined for 36 hours in Smokin' Okie's Holiday Turkey Brine.... At 250 after about 4 hours I was at 152 and I was running out of time..... so I removed from the smoker and put it in the oven at 400..... coated with maple syrup and butter and brought it up to 160 in the breast.

We had a pre-thanksgiving warm up and I served up the turkey which was perfect...... amazed our guests.

Happy Holiday

Richard
quote:
Sounds great.

I read in the local paper today that the USDA dropped the safe temperature for poultry to 165*F from 180. That's good news. So...I plan to go to 165 in the breast and also make sure the leg/thigh joint has clear juice.

Sound bout right?

It's good to know what our government says is safe! Smiler

With the breast meat at 160 I didn't bother checking other temps in the turkey. Everything was very moist and juicy.

I wish I could start selling Cookshacks... I'd have many in stock and everytime I'd serve a turkey or some other meat product I would sell another unit. I think it would be that easy.

The problem is a couple of my friends are getting one for Christmas now and I'm going to loose my monopoly on fantastic smoked meats.

May everyone have a safe and happy Turkey Day.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.