Skip to main content

I'm new to CS and to lazy and straped for time to read through all the past post but I'm going to do a deer ham and would like any advice I could get on brine's and cook times, I'm using a gas smoker and bought a curing kit from a local spice company it is a maple flavored cure with directions for cooking but I know you pro's have some other hints. Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good Morning,

I'm a local expert in my own mind... I have some fans who think I'm a venison master..... but the reality is all I've done over the years is follow the methods that work.

Are you looking for a dry cured product or more of a "cooked ham" offering?

One option is to follow the directions on your curing kit. Some of them are excellent.....

If you want to use a brine but not a cure I would mix up a brine with the following ratios of water/salt/sugars:

1 gal. water
1 c. coarse kosher salt
½ c. white sugar
½ c. brown sugar

From there add spices to taste.

I would definitely inject the meat with brine also. 5 to 10% of the weight of the meat should be injected for a rough guestimate on injecting.

Bone in or out?

As far as cook times are concerned, first determine your target temperature. For a product like this I would think 155 to 160 would do. Since most of us here are using an electric Cookshack smoker that magically keeps moisture in our times may vary. For a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) I would think a 6 to 8lb ham at 225 would take anywhere from 4 to 6 hours.

Please fill us in on more details and let us know about your outcome. I've noticed a lot of posts never have a followup story with the final product.

Thanks,

Richard

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.