Skip to main content

I've been smoking up a storm since I got my smoker a few weeks back. My absolute favourite is salmon - with a simple glaze of maple syrup and Dijon mustard, no curing at all. An hour and a half at 200F. Incredible!

I've also been doing brisket, beef back ribs, turkey, and black cod (aka sable fish).

My sister seems to think I'm looking for trouble with all this smoking - that there could be health risks from eating all of this food that's been cooked with smoke.

Does anyone out there know anything about this? I'm aware of the carcinogenic agents resulting from high temperature grilling and smoking and charring. What about low-temp smoking?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am in disagreement on the weight gain issue. But, it does screw up your wardrobe. I called the dryer guy out to the house as my shirts and pants were getting snug and he said the dryer was fine. So, the smoker is next on list to troubleshoot..it must be the culprit screwing up my clothes and shrinking them up...

In all seriousness, I would just do a Google search with some keywords. I think we may be too passionate to give you an unbiased answer. that said, I do not think it is that bad for you...
I read some where that meat cooked over high heat is more of a problem with carcingens than smoking the meat. I also read that coving the meat with EVOO or other oil base will help prevent the carcingens when grilling. Now I know were talking about smoking low and slow, but if you think about it, people have been doing it that way for 100's to 1000 of years. Of course that doesn't mean its right. Personally, I can't eat smoked meat that often, I get tired of it, maybe once every 45 days.

dan
There are likely some theoretical risks to eating a diet high in smoked meats. However, I've never stumbled across anything that would suggest there is any real world danger.

If you find anything that suggests that eating smoked meats causes disease or premature death let me know.

Most of the references you might find about smoked meats are lumped into a bigger category of processed meats and there is evidence that increasing consumption of processed meats increases your chance of stomach cancer.......(which is not high on the list of things most likely to get you) Even there it is not clear what it actually is that causes this increased risk.

Drive safely and wear your seatbelt. Control your weight and blood pressure. Eat smoked meat!

Richard
Gail

An interesting question. I don't know if it carries over to "low and slow" smoked foods, but it is very well established that liquid smoke does contain carcinogens. I personally don't use LS cause I think it tastes bad Frowner compared to the real smoked food. I doubt anyone who uses LS uses a large enough quantity to worry about the carcinogens.
Im more worried about e-coli from vegetables lately than smoked foods. Heck my wife and I wont even go to restraunts. In my little city there have been like 5 restraunts that have poisoned over a thousand people in the last 3 months. When I cook at home I know nobody is going to get e-coli or other awesome bugs from the food that we prepare. Comerically prepared foods contain more poisons/additives than we probably realize.
Just my 2 cents here.

Mike
Unfortunately, Mike, most of the highly-publicized e-coli outbreaks in the past few months have been caused by commonly used vegetables, such as spinach, romaine lettuce, and scallions.

No matter how careful all of us are in our own homes, all it takes is one package of affected produce purchased in our local grocery to have the potential to poison us.

Scary, isn't it?

Gail

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.