Skip to main content

It has been a while since I have been on the board, however, over the years I have posted several articles on smoking cheese. I tried a new technique that I believe is the best so far and will work with any Cookshack model. The real key is to get plenty of smoke without raising the temperature of the cheese. If the temperature gets to high, the fat will begin to come out of the cheese and if it gets higher still, the cheese will begin to melt. I have the baffle shelf, however, this requires a constant monitoring of the unit to turn it on and off. This weekend I purchased a simple Styrofoam cooler for $5. I drilled a 1" hole in the bottom of the cooler with a hole saw and did the same on the top. I placed a number of frozen plastic cold packs in the cooler, then placed a stainless steel rack on top of the cold packs. The cheese was then placed on the rack. I then placed the cooler on top of the model 55 such that the hole in the cooler was directly on top of the hole on the 55. 4 oz of hickory, 220 degrees and 3 hours later I have perfectly smoked Swiss with no melting. The frozen packs cooled the smoke sufficiently to prevent any melting or problems with the cheese. No monitoring was required and I had plenty of smoke in the cooler.
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.