Skip to main content

I am surprised i have not seen a thread on this subject on this forum before. My sm009 set at 225 varies from 240 to as low as 190 with a 5lb load at four hours into the smoke, using both my polder and my maverick ET73. Using a PID controler i think i can get my temps to +- 5 degrees or better. The hardware and wiring are very simple. Anybody have any ideas on this one?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi doc,

Your temperature variations sound almost identical to what I get with my 008. At first I was also concerned but through testing suggested by customer service, that is within the acceptable range. Not sure what search word you would use but this has been discussed many times on the forum. The experts agree that as long as it averages around the set temperature, it really won't make any difference in the result of the smoke. I don't see any reason a PID wouldn't make it more consistant but probably not a need for it.
Like all smokers out there, someone is always tinkering with them, and that's certainly fine as some just feed that need Big Grin

However, any changes WILL violate your warranty, so beware.

As I always suggest, just email or call CS direct and talk to them about your ideas. They have made slight changes over the year, but they don't monitor the forum a lot, so calling them is best.

FWIW, the meat doesn't care about the variations. While lots of people seem intent on getting their smokers +/- within a one degree range or less (several threads over the last week in a couple of other forums) the meat could care less. It's really the average temp, +/- XXX and it still comes out tasting great.

I love my FEC"s that they stay within a small temp range, but I don't sweat it whether it's 1, 5 or even 10 degrees, it's the average I want.

What did we do before we had all the electronics...LOL

Oh, and a PID controller, what is it (hey, we're bbq'ers)

Check out wikipedia, even has the formula for us math types:

What's a PID
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.