Skip to main content

Although there is no smoke involved in this I know we have plenty of folks on this forum who are far more knowledgable than I am about food safety. I fixed a wonderful batch of chili yesterday in my slow cooker. Throughout the afternoon and night I had an abundance of brews followed by wine. I shut the slow cooker down at 7:00 to let it cool for awhile before I put it in the fridge. Unfortunately I was in a haze and stumbled to bed, forgetting to fridge it, so it has sat out for 12 hours. Since there is both ground pork and sirloin, am I safe to still eat it after that long? I have cranked the slow cooker up to heat it again. I do not want to throw it out, however botulism or e-coli don't seem like very good alternatives.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think everyone will give a version of the answer. Officially don't do it, but they've done it an lived.

Food Safety will tell you throw it out. 12 hours is too long for cooked food to sit out.

I would absolutely not do it with anything that had dairy products in it.

For me, the tendency is if it had ground meats (sausage/ground beef, etc) to throw it out. Ground meats seem to be more susciptible than chunk meats (problems at the places they grind).

You can always "chance" it, but do you feel like winning the lottery?
Found this page with a great discussion on food safety.

SmokinOkie - - you might want to consider some discussion like this on your 'Lessons for New Users'. I learned a lot.

This page will tell you to throw out meat that has been in the danger zone for over two hours, and even cooking it to 500 degrees won't make it safe after that. (some might disagree)

http://www.northwoodssmokeofmn.com/safety.htm
I appreciate the information and will throw the chili out. I was afraid that this would be the answer. In the past I might have taken the chance but what prompted my question was a situation several weeks ago in Longiville, MN. Seventeen people became ill and one died from e-coli after consuming Swedish meatballs at a church potluck. There was also the suspicion that those who became ill also had potato salad and that there might have been cross contamination. I guess it is wise to err on the side of caution when dealing with food products.

Thanks to all.

Bill
Bill, don't feel bad about tossing out the chile. I smoked an 8lb beef roast a few weeks ago, then sliced it very thin w/ my meat slicer for sandwiches. The only mistake I made was I filled two 1 gallon freezer bags with sliced meat. I took one bag out last week to thaw in the frige, never did eat all of it, so after 7 days in the frige it's time for me to toss that freezer bag in the trash....

Next time I'll freeze it in 1 pound increments.

eat good and stay healthy!!!
"WHEN IN DOUBT....THROW IT OUT"

dan
I agree...we've all done it and survived. But unless your kitchen is consistently below 40F, and I would assume it wasn't, I wouldn't chance it. It only takes one really good bout of food poisoning to make you leery, aw hell - scared, of ever doing it again!

My rule - if in doubt, throw it out!!!
you should have taking this into consideration. yea you used ground meats, but didnt you use plenty of salt? reminds me of the day before refridgeration... you cured the meat with salt, while cooking. you could have eaten and been safe. as for the swedish meatballs, they were probably barely cooked, maybe even a tad raw. i am sure, that if they would have simmered all day, they could have been left out overnight, and still eaten safely.
but like the man said... when in doubt throw it out.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.