Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Never put brine in a metal pan. It needs to be "non-reactive". The brine solution will interact with the metal and do funky things to the pot. I don't know if it's bad for the item brining, but I know it's bad for the pot.

I use, plastic (like Andy) or ceramic or glass, but never metal.

Smokin'
Use of stainless steel for brining is as good as glass and plastic. You can't go wrong with plastic and glass as they are insulators and do not react chemically with the brine solution. Seasoned stainless steel will release extremely small traces of Iron, Chromium and Nickel (Cr & Ni will be much less than the Fe). Aluminium is not recommended for much of anything in the kitchen outside it makes a great foil..., mixing a brine in it is OK as long as the meat is not brined in the aluminium container. My background in professional kitchens makes me lean toward stainless due to its' ability to take an amazing amount of abuse and still remain functional..., good stainless steel will most likely outlast most of us making it a good long term investment.
I would avoid glass in a commercial environment simply because it can be dropped and broken..., this is not a worry with plastic and stainless. In summary; if you can't afford stainless go with plastic!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.