Skip to main content

So, we've had a burn ban in effect for months and all of the "normal" Q'ers can't Q. No exposed flames, etc. Not a problem for me and my FE.

BUT for those who don't have a Cookshack...to help everyone out last weekend in Tulsa, at the Certified Judges Class, Merl Whitebook organized a couple of us cookers.

Let's just say the pictures say it all about the cook:

That's Jeff with his Klose. You can't see T-Bone off to the right, but you can see one of his smokers. That's the 2 FE's in the back on Stuart's Trailer (he loaned it to the class).

I have to say, other than dealing with temps in the teens and wind chills below zero and letting everything exposed freeze really quick...it was FUN Big Grin

The FE's performed flawlessly:

Snow all around them, but they were so well insulated, the ice formed on the top never melted. It WAS a little difficult moping the food. The sauce was heated in the smoker, but if you took it out to mop, it started cooling off WAY too fast.

Truth be told, the other guys did have to work to keep their smokers up to temp, but they turned out some really good food. Just worked harder. I got a few cat naps and probably 5 or 6 hours overnight.

Good sized class, probably 78 judges and as many other helps. Guess they heard we were having Q and I guess they wanted some.

They were ALL fighting to get their hands on the leftovers. It was pretty funny to watch.

Good practice, I have a comp in a month.

Russ
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey, I cooked a 4 rib prime in my oval (5 qt?) Crock Pot for Christmas. Just raised it off the bottom, stuck in a prob and when it was rare, I cut and served it. It ain't smokin' but it was better than you can get in any store bought eatery. The only problem is I didn't take a picture to post here.
Long and slow that's what it is all about, sometimes how you get there is not as important as just getting there. I've been on the road a great deal this past few months and when I am is Seattle it has been raining like everyone thinks it rains in Seattle, Actually worse! I just wasn't in the mood for firing up my CS outside. But at least we don't have a burn ban, which is what got this unique string started.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.